Ear shaking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Apollo keeps shaking his ears. He doesn’t usually do it this many times. I noticed him doing it a few times this morning when I fed him so I quickly checked both of his ears, in case of mites. I then had to leave with my mum to drop my brother to school, and then we had to go to my aunts. I’ve been away for about five hours, so I’m not sure how many times he has done it before I got home. I usually use Advantage to prevent him getting mites or something like that. The rescue I adopted him advised me using it. I was using it for four months and then I ran out in April and couldn’t/didn’t order more.

His ears are clear and look the same as they usually do.

Is there a reason he’s shaking his ears?

Thank you

Apollo keeps shaking his ears. He doesn’t usually do it this many times. I noticed him doing it a few times this morning when I fed him so I quickly checked both of his ears, in case of mites. I then had to leave with my mum to drop my brother to school, and then we had to go to my aunts. I’ve been away for about five hours, so I’m not sure how many times he has done it before I got home. I usually use Advantage to prevent him getting mites or something like that. The rescue I adopted him advised me using it. I was using it for four months and then I ran out in April and couldn’t/didn’t order more.

His ears are clear and look the same as they usually do.

Is there a reason he’s shaking his ears?

Thank you

I too have noticed something very similar in Cashew. There is no sign of mites in the ear however he is scratching and shaking his ears and always trying to clean as if he's trying to reach something in his ears. I can't get him into the vet until Tuesday. He also seems to not be hearing us well. Startles very easily and seems more quiet and uninterested in anything accept his treats. His is normally a nosey rosie. Any ideas what might be going on?

I recently took my bun to the vet as he was shaking his ears and I was afraid of mites. Turns out there was nothing wrong with him and he just gets annoyed when his hair gets in his ears - he is moulting at the moment and the hair annoys him in his ears! :) maybe moulting? X

Have you felt the ears or seen if apollo scratch his ears more. I know Toste only had signs of head shaking and scratching but myself only noticed the scratching because I don’t see Toste that often, he’s hiding most of the day or in a different room in the house. The problem with skittish bunnies that like being by himself.

Looking in his ears I couldn’t see anything but when I took him to the vet he had a inflammation and wax build up in his ear channels. Which I am still treating him for, so it was not mites. He just have tiny ear channels which causes wax to build up in his ears and later becomes an inflammation.

I recently took my bun to the vet as he was shaking his ears and I was afraid of mites. Turns out there was nothing wrong with him and he just gets annoyed when his hair gets in his ears - he is moulting at the moment and the hair annoys him in his ears! :) maybe moulting? X
Cashew is molting at this time and that did run through my mind . Perhaps that's the problem. Thank you.

Apollo is also moulting so it’s possible that it’s the hair annoying him.
I only saw him once give his ear a good scratch. He actually put his foot in his ear to scratch it.
I assume that it’s just his fur, but he’s going to the vet next week for his second vaccination of the year, so I’ll be sure to bring it up.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back