Ear Rash and lumps around mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstyx

Reaction score
Hello all! Im am writing today in hopes of advice and knowledge any of you might share. Around Christmas I noticed a weird rash on my 3 month old bun Daisy’s ear. She is a half lop bun but the rash is on her upright ear and the lowered one seems perfectly healthy to me. The base of her ear was swollen, red and the skin looked dry and flakey. Due to the holidays, earliest vet appointment I could get is scheduled for the 13th of Jan 2023. Since then the swelling and redness has gone down but the “area” continues to expand. I have been washing the ear daily with cool boiled water on cotton balls. She has a scab from a wound she made on there scratching. That being said, she doesn’t scratch it all that much and seems to not mind it at all. Yesterday I noticed a hard little lump in the corner of her mouth and today I noticed a second one just under her lower lip. I swear I would’ve noticed the second one yesterday if it were there then. I’ll be calling the ver tomorrow looking for emergency options. Im sitting next to her right now and I just witnessed the first weird behaviour she has exhibited since I noticed the rash. She went down for her usual loaf but she gritted her teeth as if in pain. She then decided to stretch out her back leg and stay like so, which she has never done. Her jaw seemed to vibrate for a second or two as well. She’s had both her RHVDS done and we were looking to do her next vaccine in a few weeks. I will include photos of the lumps, her current ear condition and the weird posture she had just now in the hopes some of you have wisdom to share!
Many thanks from me and Daisy!

Attachments

• 64CEC807-41BB-4A36-B539-79ADC0733D15.jpeg
    64CEC807-41BB-4A36-B539-79ADC0733D15.jpeg
    805.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 39A0BB4C-D797-4C4F-827E-1499332BAFEA.jpeg
    39A0BB4C-D797-4C4F-827E-1499332BAFEA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 98C22612-5D2F-44E0-BEED-3FEEAA169DB9.jpeg
    98C22612-5D2F-44E0-BEED-3FEEAA169DB9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Based on the pictures, the mouth scabs may be rabbit syphilis. It can be treated by antibiotics and is not zoonotic (you won't get it) but have her looked at sooner than later.

The ears may be related, or it might be ear mites (also treatable and common).

The odd pose is something I've observed most of my rabbits do, especially my old crunchy girl. They are stretching, the jaw vibration being the equivalent of the jaw tightening that people often do first thing in the morning when they have a good stretch. My old bunny will sometimes hang out in an odd position simply because it feels nice, bunny yoga! Not saying for sure that's what's going on with your girl, just an idea.

Thanks to everyone that responded! I really appreciate your help! Im here to give a little update! Her ear continues to improve, the swelling is going down, the scab’s healing and even some hair is starting to grow back. As for the lumps, interestingly enough, the yellow one in the corner of her mouth, it fell clean off the next day! I’m not sure wether that should worry me or not, but there seems to be no wound in its place. Again, many thanks to those who took time out of their day to respond! Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back