Ear Polyps?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savarabbit

Reaction score
Hello! Looking for advice. I rescued a rabbit who has been lose on the court we just moved to for six years. I've had her for two months. She has been treated for ear mites with three rounds of Ivermectin. She was so infested with fleas it was just awful. She is flea free and healthy aside from one ear has three clusters that connect together, they crust over then the sores seem to open back up. The vet said it was from ear mites but three treatments later the clusters are still there and appear possibly larger. They now are saying it's ear polyps and that the only solution is surgery to remove the polyps.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? I worry if this is the right course of treatment for her? The neighbors say she is six years old and got loose just weeks after an former neighbor accidently lost her. She's been living off the land for years. She weights nine pounds..is a big girl but was severely dehydrated and constipated when I first captured her.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Also: do you believe rabbits should or should not be fasted before surgery? I know there is risk to taking them off their food so I'm wondering what's the safest method for surgery?

I don't know much about ear polyps so I can't really help you there without doing more research on my own, but I can comment on fasting.
It is my understanding that it is physically impossible for rabbits to vomit which is the reason that animals (and people) are typically fasted before anesthesia. I have heard that they can still sort of ooze so some vets prefer to withhold food for an hour or so but fasting is not necessary. If someone at your vets office tells you to fast, ask to double check with the vet (sometimes receptionists don't know but they won't be handling your pet either). If the vet tells you to fast, find another vet.

:yeahthat: Plus, I think you can wait a couple weeks to see if the situation resolves before deciding on surgery. Maybe apply an ointment.

Thank you for your help. We haven't gotten that far yet to discuss the fasting but I wanted to be prepared ahead of time.

As for putting an ointment in her ears..I had tried a Qtip with peroxide for about a week unknowingly that peroxide in rabbits ears causes yeast. Thankfully I didn't use it for very long. I did ask them if there was a topical treatment we could try first to dry up the polyps..like neosporin or something and the vet said that nothingtopical could be used in rabbits ears safely. I had also used the neosporin on my own and while it seem to help a little it didn't cure her. She had ear mites they said, although I saw no evidence of brown in her ears.

I can't drive right now as I just had surgery myself so she has to wait it out a few more days to a week anyway..but they have been there since I caught her in November. I just don't want to do the wrong thing and neglect treatment if she really needs it, but I also hate to take her into surgery if it can be prevented somehow.

Thanks again!

If she's in Antioch that's still a bit of a drive. Tho not too unreasonable. About 2 hours or so, maybe less.

Anyway good luck with the bunny.

Yes sadly it's too far to drive because I just had surgery. I found a few vets from the House Rabbit Society that are in the area though so I think I will get her a second opinion. I would really hate to do surgery on her if it's truely only ear mites causing inflammation like they orignally thought.
Thanks everyone! :)

Latest posts

Back