Ear mites ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31452

Reaction score
I checked my 16 week old rabbits ears I recently adopted . I have an appt set up at the vet for her but I did do a visual check on her ears. She doesn’t scratch but she shakes her head a little . There’s No discharge, and the only thing I see is deep within down ... it looks “a little dirty” Should it be totally clean as far as I can see ? Is that the beginning of ear mites? Should I treat her ? I tried to find photos online but I only see horrible cases !

It could be. Dark colored waxy build up can be an indication of mites. If she's not exhibiting any symptoms and is fine otherwise, I would probably just wait for the vet to check, if the appointment is in the next week or two. There's a picture of what the start of the waxy build up can look like in this link.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

Thank you. Knowing I am not doing great harm in waiting for her upcoming appt is a relief. I will also keep an eye on an possible progression.

So my buns went to the vet and ALL was fine.... NO Mites!! Vet said what I was seeing prob would have looked drier and crustier... this was just a little buildup :) Yay .

Latest posts

Back