Ear Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
I believe my one rabbit has ear mites. I just noticed today. It's not that bad but there are some scabby, red and yellow areas in his one ear. Is there a way for me to treat it at home or does it require a vet trip?

I used baby oil mixed with flower of sulfur (very fine sulphur powder), a few drops applied with a syringe and gently rubbed in every second day for about 2 weeks. Worked like a charm.

Many use oil (vegetable, or whatever) alone, but sulfur is toxic to mites and dosn't hurt the rabbit.

There are also oral drugs that will kill off mites, described by a vet.

Revolution(selamectin) or ivermectin are used to treat ear mites. You would have to ask your vet for the Revolution as it's rx, or feed stores usually carry injectable ivermectin for cattle. It can also be bought online. Though it's an injectable, I draw it up and then remove the needle to give the med orally. Revolution is usually a one time topical dose, ivermectin has to be repeated at least 3 times, 14 days apart. This link has the treatment and dosing info.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

You just have to make sure to calculate the dosages correctly, especially with the ivermectin as it's an extremely small amount per lb. If you aren't comfortable calculating dosages correctly, probably better to just get the meds from your vet already drawn up to the right dose.

It's good to see you on here again. Aside from the ear issue, I hope you and your buns are doing well.

Thank you Preitler!

JBun it is nice to be back. We are all mostly fine, however the same bun with the ear mites is dealing with a tooth root abscess and of course I am worried like crazy about him. I hope you and your buns are all well and happy. Nice to see you still giving out great advice and being a help to those in need

So I took him to the vets and they did a scraping and it was mites. The vet put milbemite in each ear. He said it should be cleared up in 3 weeks so if I still saw any at that time he would need another dose. I didn't see any

I just saw yesterday that he has them again, both ears a little bit and a patch on his jaw. I'm hoping I can just pick up some meds. If I do not have to take him in but can just pick up the meds how would I administer since it's on his jaw as well as in his ears?

I can ask the vets but was curious and won't be able to reach them for a while

I'm not even sure that is an approved rabbit safe mite treatment. It's not on any list I've ever seen.

If it were me, I would go online or to the local feed store and pick up a bottle of injectable ivermectin, but would administer it orally(needless 1cc syringe) and not by injection. Online generic brand is cheaper, about $25 for the small bottle. You would need to get an accurate weight on your bun to calculate the dose, and exact dosage calculation is very important to get right as a small amount is very potent, and OD is very dangerous.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Psoroptes_Inf.htm

Or you could phone your vet, say the mites are back, say you would like to treat it with ivermectin or revolution(selamectin) this time. You shouldn't have to bring your bun in or pay for another office visit. In fact I would make sure I wouldn't be charged again, and always verify costs first so there are no surprises. If you do revolution, it's one topical treatment at the back of the neck and done, should be less than $20. Ivermectin, they may want to charge you to have the vet give injections, I would request to give it myself by oral administration instead, that way it can just be done by you at home with no additional cost. You will need to give 2 more treatments 14 days apart. 3 oral syringes of ivermectin to give the treatments at home, shouldn't cost more than $15. Always good to verify the vet has given you the correct dose for your bun, 0.4mg/kg for ivermectin, 18mg/kg for revolution(dosage info in links). It should be noted that ivermectin carries a higher risk of potential toxic reaction, particularly with BEW, vienna marked/carrier, and dutch rabbits, so revolution is certainly the safer of the two. Though ivermectin is a fairly common antiparasitic used in rabbits, most of the time with no ill effects when dosed correctly.

Ivermectin and revolution(selamectin) are the usual treatments for mites in rabbits, and retreatment with everything but revolution is usually necessary as that's the life cycle of the mite and most mite meds except revolution, don't last long enough to take care of the next hatching of eggs. Which makes me kind of wonder about the rabbit experience of your vet, not administering the usual mite treatment for rabbits and not having you retreat at the correct time. But I usually do question any vets rabbit experience until it's been proven. Maybe not this time, but if you don't feel your vet is rabbit knowledgeable, in the future you may want to consider finding one that is if that's possible in your area.

I started to wonder about that myself.

After doing a lot or research today I do plan to ask for Revolution. I would be a little worried with the ivermectin, I have had more than enough worry with Stuart :)

That's one thing I was looking for the answer to, whether or not they had to measure out the does specifically for rabbits or if you would just get the product based on an average weight just as you would for dog/cat

well he is the only vet around that treats exotics, he has had training for exotics and does see rabbits often enough although not quite as much as dogs/ cats. I still want to second guess or question every thing

as always, thank you for your help and the info!!!

I definitely prefer treating with revolution. He is a new Zealand white crossed with a new Zealand red. He is mostly the red but with patches of white and white feet. I so far have only found limited info on Vienna marked but I can't guarantee that the white in him was not from a BEW, unless I'm just not understanding the whole Vienna marked.

Which is kind of a shame because I'm in the country so should have no issue being able to find somewhere near to buy ivermectin and now that I really have questions about the vet I feel the need to double check the dose so it's not like I won't be doing the math anyway

it's just all so frustrating. I don't do well with worrying and with Stuart there is worry especially when you don't feel complete trust in your vet

I am so confused!!! and in tears at this point. the vets don't carry revolution but I can order through their online pharmacy. I weighed Stuart in both kg and lbs. He is 3.04kg (6.69lbs)

Which should mean he needs 54.72mg of Revolution

I did see that the puppy/kitten revolution comes in .25ml. I must be missing something because it would take massive amounts of .25ml

but then that's for a 5-10lb animal if I remember right

Honestly, I doubt that a new zealand bred bun is a vienna carrier, and it's most likely he will be just fine with ivermectin. Most rabbits are, but yes there is always the possibility with any med, that a negative reaction can occur. I would probably just go with the ivermectin since working with this vet is turning out to be so stressful. To get it right away, tractor supply or another feed store should have it, or online if you aren't in a hurry. The name brand is ivomec, but that is more expensive. I would get a bottle of the generic if they have it. It's a 1% solution, so has 10mg/ml. So to get the 0.4mg/kg dose, that would be either 0.04ml/kg or 0.018ml/lb. For a 3kg bun that would be 0.12ml, and I would just draw it up into a 1cc tb syringe with a needle, then take the needle off(make sure the syringe has a removable needle) and squirt right into the mouth. If I was concerned about a possible negative reaction, I might try a minuscule test dose of maybe 0.01ml, then wait several hours. If there didn't seem to be any negative effect I would go ahead and give the normal dose. Giving an extra 0.01ml for a 3kg bun shouldn't be harmful as there is normally a wide margin of safety before an OD would occur. Make sure to retreat 2 more times, 14 days apart(refer to dosing directions in previous links posted). Not saying you should do all this, just what I might do. I have used ivermectin to treat mites before without any problems. But I do know of cases where ivermectin toxicity has occurred, so it can happen.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FVUH6C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you still want to go with revolution and it's not immediately needed, I would tell my vet I'm going to order it online and that the company would be in contact with them for the prescription info. Just find a reputable one with the best price, and look at their instructions for getting vet approval. It's usually just a matter of you placing the order and them verifying the prescription with the vet. I've ordered from Drs foster and smith, and they usually have decent prices, though there are plenty of other places to order it as well.
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9567

Cat and dog revolution only differ in their strength. Cat revolution has 60mg/ml, dog revolution has 120mg/ml. The dog revolution would be the cheapest way to go, and for a 3kg rabbit that needs about 60mg, that would only be 0.5ml that you would need to apply. Dogs and cats get 6mg/kg, so you basically need 3x the amount, which would be the brown box(10-20lb). Or if you have several rabbits you need to treat, you can get a larger tube and just draw up the appropriate amount for each rabbit into a syringe, then apply according to directions to the back of their neck. You just pick the box with a tube that has enough to split up and administer to all rabbits that need treatment. It usually only costs a few dollars more for the larger tubes. The 3pk of brown is $50, and the 3pk of teal that has 4x as much is only $2 more. Use one tube, then save the others in case you ever need it again. Apply according to directions, and if you have buns that live together, you may need to separate so it has time to dry and won't be groomed off by their partner.
https://www.zoetisus.com/contact/pages/product_information/MSDS_PI/PI/Revolution.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for all of your help. I can't tell you how much it means to me!!!

I think I will try the ivermectin. I can run out tomorrow to get it as I'd like to start it as soon as possible. Not sure where to find a syringe with removable needle. So far no luck searching online for somewhere to buy nearby. I know TSC sells vaccines for dogs/cats that include a syringe. I guess I could but one if needed and if the needle isn't removable just squirt it into a different syringe

You should be able to get some from your vet. Or a pharmacy if your state doesn't require a prescription. They don't here, but it's different in every state. I've also ordered them online. You can get them separate too, 1cc syringes, and something like a 22g 1/2in needle. The farm store may have them, but I've only ever seen 3cc syringes at ours.

The nightmare continues! :) So I went shopping a day early just to pick up the ivermectin at Tractor Supply after looking online. The area of mites isn't large and Stuart is acting fine but I still prefer to treat as soon as possible with all of the issues he has dealt with in the past months.

Of course TS did not have any smaller bottles and I really couldn't spend $120, plus I could not find any 1cc syringes so decided to come home and order online. I have prime so 2 day shipping.

Now I see that the ivermectin is scheduled to arrive tomorrow but the syringes are showing Monday. Now since I know I picked 2 day shipping I'm hoping the company is one of those that gives you a later shipping date than what it actually turns out to be

I used baby oil mixed with flower of sulfur (very fine sulphur powder), a few drops applied with a syringe and gently rubbed in every second day for about 2 weeks. Worked like a charm.

Many use oil (vegetable, or whatever) alone, but sulfur is toxic to mites and dosn't hurt the rabbit.

There are also oral drugs that will kill off mites, described by a vet.

Hi Preitler, could you pls give amounts of how much baby oil and sulfur powder you mixed to use for ear mites? Also about how much in the syringe per ear? Many thanks in advance!

Well, I just put some of each in the syringe so that it was still quite liquid, maby 1:4 in volume since the sulfur was just an addition - many use just plain oil (whatever kind), and used just a few - 3, 4 drops per ear and massaged a little to distribute it and to get it into the ear. Don't fill the ear with oil, it's just about getting a oil film on all the skin.

Had to deal with that only once, quite a few years ago, now my buck has fur mites, vet applied Stronghhold for that.

Last edited:
Thank you. So this didn’t burn the ears at all? Did you clean them during the treatment? And 1 part sulfur to 4 parts oil correct?

I know sulfur is highly alkaline which is why I was asking if it caused any irritation to the ears. Greatly appreciate your reply! :)

Thank you. So this didn’t burn the ears at all? Did you clean them during the treatment? And 1 part sulfur to 4 parts oil correct?

I know sulfur is highly alkaline which is why I was asking if it caused any irritation to the ears. Greatly appreciate your reply! :)

That's aboutr what I used. But there are many suitable remedys, oil alone will do the job too.

Never heard of sulfur being highly alkaline, it has a slight drying effect on skin and is used in skin lotions and even for better healing of wounds. I didn't notice any adverse effect.

Latest posts

Back