Ear Issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
Hello. I have a standard rex with what looks like a small scratch in her ear, next to what looks like a tattoo, that is irritating and itches. It's only in one ear. At first I thought the tattoo looking mark was a pigment anomaly, but IDK. I didn't notice it when I got her (little over a week), but I was looking for bugs, and I'm new to this. I've not noticed it getting worse. I have another rabbit that does not have any ear issues.

I've attached a photo with annotations. I can try and get better one, later... she's very animated. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. TY

Rob

Attachments

• Blueberry (Standard Rex) Ear Issue2.jpg
    Blueberry (Standard Rex) Ear Issue2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 0
Could be the breeders mark. For the scratch, if it looks like it's starting to get infected, I've used plain triple antibiotic ointment( Neosporin, no added pain relief). Just a light layer a few times a day, and it's important to distract bun from immediately grooming off, with food or something.

If you're not sure, or if concerned about what's going on with the ear, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet. Or f it gets worse or a lump develops(abscess), then a visit to a rabbit vet is necessary, for systemic antibiotics.

Also, make sure the scratch isn't a sign of ear mites developing.

Medirabbit: ear mites

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you for the response. I do have antibiotic ointment and have started treating it. And we have a vet that cares for rabbits, near by, if I need to go that route. Thanks again!

Happy to report the scratch/bump cleared up with a little ointment. The weird pattern was dirt, or grease, and it wiped off with the ointment, so cleaned that up.. Ear is not irritating her, either. Very happy. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back