Ear infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biogirl713

Reaction score
Hello,

My bunny Barney (french lop) has white sticky ear wax in his right ear only. He does not scratch at it, clean his ears excessively, or tilt his head. He is eating and drinking just fine and seems to be his normal happy bunny self. I have been laid off from my job and I don't have a lot of money. Is this an ear infection that requires the vet or is this just normal wax build-up that I have read is common in lops?

Does the wax smell bad? Generally with ear infections the ear wax has a foul odor. I have English lops and their ears are constantly filling up with wax, but my vet rarely says its a full blown infection and that keeping the ears clean as a preventative measure is best. Be careful when cleaning his ears though, they are delicate. You can use an ear wash such as epi otic ear cleanser, which is safe for rabbits. Just make sure it's not the advanced one. You can also clean the ears with an alcohol&vineger mixture. Hope that helps!

No the wax doesn't smell bad at all. I have epi otic that I have used for my dog so I'll give that a shot. Thanks for your advice!

Does the wax smell bad? Generally with ear infections the ear wax has a foul odor. I have English lops and their ears are constantly filling up with wax, but my vet rarely says its a full blown infection and that keeping the ears clean as a preventative measure is best. Be careful when cleaning his ears though, they are delicate. You can use an ear wash such as epi otic ear cleanser, which is safe for rabbits. Just make sure it's not the advanced one. You can also clean the ears with an alcohol&vineger mixture. Hope that helps!

Hi curious why is the advanced one bad?

Latest posts

Back