Ear Health

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anp1012

Reaction score
Hi guys!
My rabbit Mickey is about 13 years old and sadly his health has been getting worse. As of late he seems to be getting ear infections quite frequently and so I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of any save rinses for rabbits to try and help prevent them. Or if anyone had any suggestions to try and help prevent them or relieve some of his irritation. (That’s my little old man down below) Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 7020170B-F424-4ABA-A225-0224F3E515B7.jpeg
    7020170B-F424-4ABA-A225-0224F3E515B7.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 5
has your vet prescribed anything for his ears? my vet placed drops in my holland lop's ear for cleaning one time but I forgot what it was called

They’ve only prescribed medicated drops as far as I know sadly. Also just another question to pose, he has now stopped eating for the most part and has been hiding for most of the day. He usually does this when his stomach is upset or he is going to have the poops I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything to give him to help. Thank you!

Like gut stasis? I’m not sure every once in a while he stops eating for a little bit but ends up getting diarrhea. I’m just a little more concerned because he’s been hiding.

I don’t have any on hand but do I need a vet prescription or is there something I can pick up at the store?

Ear rinses aren't going to fix the problem. Your rabbit needs to be on systemic antibiotics, either a rabbit appropriate oral antibiotic or injectable. If your vet hasn't given the proper treatment of systemic antibiotics in the past, I would strongly suggest finding a more knowledgeable rabbit vet. And right away. Ear infections can cause a rapid deterioration if they get to the middle or inner ear. Anti inflammatory pain meds like meloxicam, will also be necessary, to reduce inflammation and the risk of possible cell damage occurring.

Medirabbit (ear infections in rabbits)

Because your rabbits appetite is now being affected, you will also need a syringe feeding mix called Oxbow Critical Care(apple banana) from the vet(more can be bought online for a cheaper price). And you will need to be doing regular syringe feeds( I do 2-4cc per lb of body weight, at least every 4 hours) throughout the day.

Gas drops aren't going to help. Your rabbit has likely stopped eating because of ear pain. So you will need to get your bun into the vet right away, get him on pain meds, a rabbit safe antibiotic, and syringe feeds. If you can't get to a knowledgeable rabbit vet tonight, then tomorrow at the latest. In the meantime, I would make a pellet mush by soaking the pellets in warm water, then using a wide tip feeding syringe, and start syringe feeding until the vet appointment tomorrow.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back