Ear Edge Dermatitis or Mites??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliam

Reaction score
I found white crusty stuff at the base of the fur on her back just above her tail and a little on her tail. Vet administered anti parasite and antibiotic and I picked off what I could and it is all gone. Her ears though, the skin has thickened on the edge and there are crusty bits. In the middle of her ears on her head, there are crusty pimples, I have cut the hair away. I am applying Conofite. I massage it in and pick off what I can. She hates it. Her head is better. She is currently hiding inside the base of the chair bench. She has been there all afternoon. I love my bunny so much and hate it when she falls out with me. She is a bit of a sorry sight. She is 4, female, unspayed as yet. Her head is healed but her ear edges, I really don't want to hurt her so just a little hard stuff comes away each day and it is like an extra skin has grown over her old skin on her ear edges?? Could the Conofite be causing her discomfort? Does she need more treatment for mites, I have never seen any. I have stopped using sawdust in her litter tray though as we thought it might be an allergy and her backside is ok, but her ears? Thanks for any advice or reassurance.

What was the antiparasitic and antibiotic medication? Was the antiparasitic only given or applied once? I would suggest not applying that fungal cream anymore. It doesn't sound like a fungal skin problem. And also, you don't want to pick the crusty skin and pull it away as that will be painful to your rabbit. Mites aren't really visible, so you wouldn't see them. It does sound like your rabbit most likely has mites.

Thanks so much, I’ve been offline hence my delayed reply. Yes, stopped using conofite and she’s much happier. Used xeno450 2 weeks ago, can’t get any more so have ordered Ivermectin for rabbits, I’ve put a few drops of old ivermectin as it’s 2 weeks but I’m not sure it’s still active so waiting for. Delivery of BeaPhar anti parasitic drops, 3 vials also 1% drops from The Hay experts in UK. I’m guessing I apply every 2 weeks for 6 weeks? Her ears are much better but tiny tufts falling out and although happier she’s o my just getting used to my touching them gently again. I hope this all works. She’s lost a little weight and her spine is more prominent and although alert her fur doesn’t look great. I’m now worrying could it be a disease as she’s lived in France and Portugal and hasn’t been vaccinated since 2019.

I would think ivermectin stays active even if expired, though I haven't done any research to know one way or the other. Yes every 2 weeks, and at least 3 treatments to be safe. These should also be what the instructions on the package say. If the ivermectin doesn't clear it completely up, it could be the mites have developed a resistance to the med. In which case, Stronghold(selamectin) can also be used to treat mites in rabbits.

Medirabbit: ear mites

No, it's not myxo or rhd1/rhd2 Those have completely different symptoms. Myxo causes edema around the face and genitals, and is most often fatal. RHD causes fatal internal bleeding. If either of these are active in your country, I would strongly suggest looking into getting your rabbit vaccinated.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/rabbit-vhd/(WARNING: contains medical related photos)
Medirabbit: myxomatosis

I would make sure she is eating all of her food well. If she is, then her weight and coat should return to normal in a few weeks time, as she is continuing to feel better. If she isn't eating well, there could be something more there going on like a dental issue, that would need your vet to look into.

I’m so pleased you mentioned the dental issue as she does have issues with her teeth, had the front ones removed and the back ones ground. The mites could be a red herring for the weight loss and I’ll be taking her to the vet to get them checked and yes! Her vaccinations will be updated. The ivermectin is working I think, she’s much happier and looks a bit better. I’ve just bought Advocat forger last dose as it also worms and I’ve never worked her. Thanks lovely people for all the solid advice, it’s been so enlightening, I was getting in such a panic. She hates the vet as she’s had teeth issues so I try to treat her myself but this one was really getting Me down. Sometimes you just need some good, fresh, expert advice. Love you 😍

With the Advocate, you'll want to keep an eye on her for any side effects, like lethargy, lack of appetite, or other changes of behavior. Moxidectin has a much lower threshold for accidental overdose, so it needs to be used with caution. Plus it's a similar antiparasitic to ivermectin and selamectin, so you shouldn't those should never be used in the same time period(2 weeks).

If your bun needs intestinal deworming, panacur rabbit would be the correct med for that. However, I would suggest waiting until the mite problem is resolved so you aren't giving your rabbit a bunch of antiparasitics at the same time.

I'm glad you're seeing improvement, hopefully if there are dental issues, the vet can get that sorted out soon too. And yes, could very well be the explanation for the mite problem now.

Update: administered 2nd dose of Ivermectin, stopped touching her ears, and she's been a lot happier. The spots on her head have healed and small tufts are still coming out of her ear edges. It has been very hot. Now, her skin seems to be peeling and she has a bare patch on her ear. Tiny tufts of fur can be rubbed away but it looks more like skin flakes than dandruff? The advocate is due next week. The third and last dose. Her ears are a little pink. I put some drops of water on them and she seemed happier. I will probably end up getting her treated at the vet as she needs vaccinations. I googled some cream and would like to treat it myself but am worried about doing the wrong thing. It mentioned a fungus that sounded similar hence the cream.

Latest posts

Back