Ear Dandruff

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
In the last few days I have noticed one of my bunnies had a few flakes of dander on her fur. I found the source today on theback of her ears. I can't physically see any mites although I know this doesn't mean anything. The insides of her ears are clean and no where else on her body is there dandruff. I haven't noticed her scratching more than usual and her cage mate has no signs of dander or mites. I would normally treat with Ivermecton but the rabbit in question is a Dutch cross and there has been some suggestions that Dutch rabbits should not have ivermetin due to reactions.

Does anyone have experience treating a Dutch with ivermectin or other possible treatments that may work? (I have talked to my vet and she is doing some research because she said ivermectin is what is normally used when skin mites are suspected - I have an appointment booked but can not make it in for a week and a half.)

I don't have experience treating fur mites personally, but I've read that Listerine mouthwash *on the fur* kills them. You would just soak a cotton ball in the Listerine and dab on the infected area.

You can also use a cat flea and tick powder/spray. Be careful using these products - do not get any in the rabbits facial area.

Definitely check with your vet before trying these suggestions!

Revolution(selamectin) might be a safer alternative over ivermectin, if you do end up needing to treat for mites. At least from what I've read it sounds like it's safer. I wouldn't use cat flea powders myself as I have read of toxic reactions occurring in some rabbits. And NEVER frontline(fipronil), as it is definitely toxic to rabbits.

With the dutch rabbits possibly being sensitive to ivermectin, it's believed it's like the MDR1 gene in dogs. I don't know that there is any conclusive information out there about dutch, VM, and BEW rabbits having this same issue, but I have read enough personal accounts of reactions to it to make me nervous about using it on my buns with dutch genetics, though whether those reactions were from a sensitivity to it or from accidental OD is unknown. If I had to treat my buns for mites, I would go with the Revolution.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

It's possible it's not mites and could just be some dry skin. Though if it doesn't clear up in a week or so or gets worse, then it's likely to be mites.

If it's mites I would use revolution on the Dutch cross. It works almost as well as Ivermectin, which is what we normally use...but we do have some BEW rabbits and will only use revolution on them.

I invested in a microscope...nothing real expensive...so I wouldn't have to go to the vet if I see dandruff and ruffled fur. A sample of the hair around the roots shows me if there are mites and/or eggs. It's useful for for other things too 😉

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a possible MDR1 equivalent for rabbits! :eek:
But yep, if it's mites, go with selamectin, then. Is your rabbit scratching at her ears a lot? Are there any scabs? Because just a bit of dandruffs outside of the ear might just be a case of dry skin. It happens sometimes when they are moulting...
Marjov, the microscope is actually a really good idea. I own one but I wouldn't have thought about using it.
Also, if the problem is actually mites, cleaning the environment is really important because the products don't kill eggs, so if you don't want the infestation to continue it's treat and clean EVERYTHING (it's fun like getting rid of mange).

Latest posts

Back