Ear Cleaner...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnoliaDee

Reaction score
I use a solution my vet gave me, can't remember the name of it right off. My vet wants me to use it just on my lops, he said they can get some excess wax buildup due to the lop ears.

I was instructed to squirt a small amount into the ear, then gently massage the base of the ear for a short time, then allow the bunny to shake his head. I was told that this will help to loosen wax. I've noticed that Nick will groom his ears more right afterward, as well.

I don't have experience with the product you linked to, but I assume it would be used in the same way.

I have heard it's best not to put anything in the ear canal unless recommended by a vet. The ear canal can very easily get blocked, allowing bacteria to grow in an anaerobic environment, and then you have an infection. A monthly check of the ears, and occasional removal of wax in the pinna of the ear (the outer ear--the cartillage part, not deep in the ear) with a wet q-tip is all I do.

I wouldn't use anything in the ears without vet approval. I'd also be hesitant to use something containing eucalyptus oil on an animal that grooms itself.

I use MalAcetic Otic for my kitty Eve, who has recurring yeast infections due to ear mite damage when she was a baby. It's an ear cleaning/drying solution that my vet gave me. The ingredients look rabbit safe and would be a possibility if ear cleaning was actually needed. But I wouldn't use it unless my vet actually told me to.

I understand--we want to keep our guys as clean and healthy as possible. Fortunately for us, they do a pretty good job of it themselves (usually). Unfortunately, places that sell pet stuff prey on this desire to take care of our animals by selling you stuff you really don't need, like bunny shampoo or ear drops or vitamins. [[hugs]]

Latest posts

Back