ear bitten!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next step of care

• clean the wound and watch it, schedule routine vet after insurance

• clean the wound and watch it, apply neosporin, schedule routine vet after insurance

• immediate vet visit

Results are only viewable after voting.

bunnyma

Reaction score
hi all - i'm new to the boards. we have a 5 year old spayed female lionhead (bunny). 2 months ago, we brought home a 5 month or so (spayed also) female english spot/lionhead mix (panda). we have been doing slow bonding sessions and got to the point that panda would groom bunny, but bunny would still be scared of panda. so - they have NOT been living together still and have continued to be separated by a fence. Yesterday morning, panda hopped her fence (4 feet tall, apparently climbed up). we heard a commotion and ran upstairs and found that there was a scuffle. panda had bitten bunny's ear (or ripped out bunny's ear hair and took the sensitive skin with it, we are not sure. you can see a smaller scab/cut on the inside, but you can't see through anywhere, which is why i think she took the skin off by pulling the hair out). i panicked and cleaned it and used the kwik stop we had with benzacaine for some pain relief. i was planning on scheduling a vet check up anyway (But was trying to wait until 8/15 for our pet insurance to kick in from a new job). Bunny has been eating, pooping a lot/regularly, and isn't chattering in pain. however - she does have her defensive tears which makes me so sad. my plan is to clean her ear again today (and clean that crap kwik stop off, it was the first time we ever had to use it and i didn't realize it would make a hard substance over it - should have known better), and use a bit of neosporin or something antibacterial, and lay low and watch it the next few days (And schedule an appt for the 15th). does anyone disagree with my plan or think i need to get to the vet sooner (obviously i will keep an eye on it and get there faster if it looks weird/not healing). i am feeling terrible and i don't want her to be in pain or hurt or risk it not healing (though i think it looks like a normal human scab at this point). your direction is appreciated!!

my plan is to clean her ear again today (and clean that crap kwik stop off, it was the first time we ever had to use it and i didn't realize it would make a hard substance over it - should have known better), and use a bit of neosporin or something antibacterial, and lay low and watch it the next few days (And schedule an appt for the 15th).

Sounds like a good plan. Clean it up with some type of antibacterial soap (hibitane or something not creamy looking like normal hand soap...) Rinse it, and apply poly/neo-sporin with NO pain killer in it.
Can you post a picture of it when you clean it BEFORE you apply anything on it. Then post the photo here?
From the sounds of it, it shouldn't need a vet appointment but it would help to see :)

Latest posts

Back