e. cuniculi???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
Hello!

Well, I work in a pet store that seems to know NOTHING about buns. It can be frustrating, to say the least.

Friday, we got in two new bunnies (about 6 weeks old). Seems like a Nethie and a Dutch. The Dutch is just precious and though I don't have room, I enjoy snuggling her at work.

Today, however, I noticed her right eye was slightly squinty. I took a look and didn't see anything unusual, but reminded myself to keep an eye on it. A few hours later, her eye was almost closed. When I pulled it open, I noticed that it was clouding over, and I could see a little white squiggle inside her eye. I immediately thought parasite.

Now, I know they won't treat the bunny at the store, unless they use a dog dewormer (not acceptable). I'm sure they would just send this bunny back to the breeder... And I'm worried she'd be put down. I decided to call my vet to see what she thought, if there's a chance this bun could keep her eye (I'm concerned because of how rapidly it seems to be progressing). My vet said that it was probably e. cuniculi and she could treat it, but that would mean I would have to spend $60 to buy the rabbit, however much at the vet, and then I would still be stuck with a rabbit that I couldn't keep.

So my question is 1) Will the breeder likely put the bun down, or treat her? And 2) Does it sound like e. cuniculi to you?

I"ve never heard of this as a symptom of E. Cuniculi. I guess anythings possible, and I'm not a vet, but it doesn't quite sounds like E.C. to me. Keep an eye out for probablems using back legs, head tilt, staring into space, grinding teeth, and there's some more symptoms. Weepy eye can be a symptom, but if its just squinty and cloudy, I don't think that's the problem. Usually, squintyness comes either genetically ( partially, or fully blind) or from not that clean of a cage.. Like alot of rabbits from a young age in the nestbox. Some people say try eye drops for a little while, and it'll heal up nicely.

Whatever it is, I hope she can get treated and loved... Maybe you could contact the breeder and ask... but I'd guess they would put her to sleep.. I've just seen a post of a breeder saying if their rabbits aren't good for shows, they kill them... it sucks..!

Well, bad news. She's now completely clouded over in that eye. I did some research and even though she doesn't have head tilt, I found some pictures of cloudy eyed bunnies that have e cuniculi and it looks like her :(.

14252_262214_320000002.jpg

14252_262214_320000001.jpg

14252_262214_310000000.jpg

I decided to buy her... But the store wont sell her to me. They're going to send her back to the breeder, along with her cage mate (because if it is e cuniculi, he's got it too). It's hard because I know she'll probably be euthanized because I think our bunnies are the culls of the breeder we get them from. Sadly, I'll never know either way.

Latest posts

Back