E. Cuniculi? Doe has tumor in eye...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kr

Reaction score
I'm really worried about my doe and the rest of the bunnies I have who have been exposed/around this doe. I got this doe in January and she just turned 6 months on the 14th. Last month I noticed her right eye had turned a grayish color. Now within a month's time she has a tumor that has grown on the iris and is protruding into the pupil. The outer edge of the tumor is white and the other parts of it range from red to purple. The pictures I've seen about tumors on the iris look very very similar to rabbits with e. cuniculi, although she is showing no symptoms and it's just in the one eye.

Her behavior concerns me too, she is VERY AGGRESSIVE now. I can't even feed without getting attacked multiple times. I had to feed with a glass pan lid as a shield tonight and get her out with gloves for the pictures below. She is also drinking a LOT, like 32oz or more a day and for a 3 pound rabbit, I think that is a lot..it takes my others a week to do that. She pees constantly(go figure) and is starving all the time, gnawing on the wire after she gulps down 1/3 cup of feed in half an hour. It's bizarre. Something is wrong...
eyebrow.gif

If she does have e. cuniculi, how do I go about treating my other two bunnies? One was put in the run with her briefly and the other has never made contact. Neither exhibit symptoms of e. cuniculi but I want to treat them now before problems arise...I'm really worried about my buns.

i-dVSTxch-M.jpg

i-hqtJ3qx-M.jpg

Kidney disease can cause increased thirst/urination and can also cause eye damage due to increased blood pressure. Impossible to tell what's really going on without some diagnostics (blood work, urinalysis). E cuniculi can be involved, but it's hard to say whether it's a primary infection (the cause) or a opportunistic secondary infection (a symptom of the primary disease). Diabetes is rare in rabbits, but also something to consider. That would explain the increased appetite (appetite is generally decreased with kidney failure). Diabetes could also cause eye damage.

It would be interesting to get some lab work done and see what's actually going on. The poor rabbit sounds absolutely miserable, and may be suffering from pain that's making her agressive (or may also have alteration of mental status due to the disease process). I'd make her as comfortable as possible and consult the vet on pain management.

Has she gained or lost weight?

I wouldn't be concerned about treating the other rabbits if they are not showing symptoms.

EC is spread by spores in the urine and from mother to baby. Cross infection doesn't require rabbits to be in contact with each other so if you share runs between rabbits, share equipment between pens, etc. then your other rabbits have been exposed (if that is what she has). You can treat but it's difficult to guarantee results as it's the sort of thing that can pop up at a later date.

EC is not the only thing that cause cause eye issues, it's not even necessarily a tumour. I'm not surprised she's aggressive - she's obviously unwell - that makes me pretty crabby too :)

I suggest you either get a vet to examine the eye properly with a view to treating it or having it removed. Leaving her untreated is not going to make the situation better. Getting blood tests would be the only way to be sure EC is the root cause.

She was aggressive maybe because the tumer has blinded her in that one eye. Maybe he passed from stress due to this. I would really contact the breeder. If it's genetic then she needs to know what lines to cut so this doesn't continue to happen. Poor baby. I'm sorry Lindsey. One had split penis and now this. Please don't give up. We all can have set backs.

I would have your bunny tested for EC before treating your other bunnies. If she tests postive for EC, then treat your other bunnies. I would have the vet also check what is going on with that eye and check the other one also.

The aggressiveness is most likely due to the fact that she is in pain from this situation.

You could give her metacam. You said that she is 3 pounds, well that would be a .25 mL once a day for 3 days. Prince was about 3 pounds when he had to take metacam and that is the dosage that he received. I think that if your bunny is not in pain then the aggressiveness will subside.

Poor babe sorry Lindsey for your lose. I can't beleve the breeder! I'm mad for u! I hope Mr Gary has a nice size litter. He will we attending almost all the Louisiana shows this year.

EC often first attacks the kidneys, so the urination could be due to that. I would get her on an antiparasitic ASAP--Panacur if that's all you have, ponazuril if you can get it, and have a vet look at that eye. It does look like an EC-related eye deposit but bunnies can get the same deposits from other reasons. It sounds like she is really unhappy and may be in pain from her behavior.

She has passed on. So there was obviously something more going on. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

That doesn't rule out EC. If she was in pain from her eye, which was suggested by her behaviour, the stress can have a knock on effect and, for example, shut down her digestive system which left untreated could be fatal.

I take it she was never seen by a vet for diagnosis? I'd be tempted to get a PM to check what was going on and whether it is something that could put your other rabbits at risk.

I would get a necropsy(sp) to rule out EC. Because if she had it, more than likely your other bunnies have it and need to get treated asap.

I am sorry she passed. Binky free!

Latest posts

Back