E.cuniculi causing seizures

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For all the rabbit owners, please look into wormwood for the treatment of E.cuniculi. My rabbit had seizures and bloodwork showed very high levels of antibodies to E.cuniculi. Traditional treatment with Panacur was not helping. Once the Vet started him on a wormwood treatment plan, the seizures stopped and he's been fine since. Tried to take him off the wormwood months later and I saw subtle signs that lead me to believe the seizures would return. Put him back on the wormwood and he's fine again. He will stay on this forever to keep the E.cuniculi at bay. I have the wormwood liquid made at a compounding pharmacy. He gets 1/16th of a pill twice a day, which they make into a liquid for me. He weighs about 4.5 pounds. I get the pills from MediHerb Wormwood Complex made by Standard Process. Please contact me if you have any questions. This treatment saved my rabbit's life. He's a sweet boy!

This is an interesting observation! My suspicion is that it would be the anti-inflammatory properties of wormwood that had the effect rather than actually reducing the number of e cuniculi.
The symptoms that we see with ec are as a result of inflammation from the parasite rather than directly linked to parasite burden. That is why it is recommended to give anti-inflammatory medication alongside fenbendazole when trying to treat.
I am glad your bunny is doing better!

Thanks for your input. My rabbit was on metacam along with the Panacur and that got the seizures down to once or twice a week. After treatment with the wormwood, the seizures stopped and the metacam was tapered down until he was off it. He's currently only on the wormwood twice a day. Just wanted folks to know there's another option if the traditional approach isn't working. Also, his antibody titer went down as well as his CRP. I'm thankful my Vet thinks outside the box. She saved my rabbit. He's a happy boy.

Latest posts

Back