Dwarf rabbit suddenly not eating and discharge in one eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took her to the vet today. Vet cut one of her nails short on the bad paw to check for blood flow and saw blood which is a good sign. Paw is still very inflamed. Skin looks a little better today.

Been giving the shots every day and cleaning the paw twice a day. She is still not using it though I do see her put some weight on it from time to time. Looks like some of the swelling has gone down. The last few days when we did the antiseptic wash she pulled her paw back in a hurry. So maybe some of the feeling is coming back. Have a vet checkup tomorrow. Attached a pic from this morning.

I have no idea what to expect but I guess I thought it would heal quicker than it is.

URI appears to be completely gone. Appetite is very good. Looks very alert.

Attachments

• Lola - paw - 12-12-22.jpg
    Lola - paw - 12-12-22.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 0
Took her to the vet yesterday and they cleaned off most of the remaining dead skin that was falling off. Vet said it is healing nicely. However, she is not likely to regain use of the front paw. When holding her sometimes I can feel her trying to pull the paw closed. And I have felt her toes grip my finger when holding her. Only thing I have not seen her do is straighten (unfold) the paw.

Both pics below show the full amount she can straighten the paw. Will not go any more even if you push on it. I can feel the bottom tendons becoming tight when you push on it. So there might still be some swelling or perhaps permanent damage to the joint or tendons. She does get around very well with out the ability to use it for walking.

After more healing occurs could we put a splint on it? Try to force it to stay straight and stretch out the tendons?

Attachments

• paw 3.jpg
    paw 3.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • paw 2 - with silvedene.jpg
    paw 2 - with silvedene.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 0
It may just take a more time for it to heal up completely. Maybe ask your vet about starting some physical therapy with the leg to help slowly stretch those tendons back to the normal range of function, and strengthen the muscles.

Latest posts

Back