Dwarf Lop ears no longer lopped?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandaaaa_xxo

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I have a holland dwarf lop named Wilson ! He's 2 and 1/2 years of age. I was under the impression that lops have lopped ears yet mine has 'helicopter' ears?? I've attached a photo to show you all what I mean. How come his ears aren't lopped? They used to be when he was younger but as he grew older, they just started to become floppy and all over the place haha.

I've just always wondered because the rabbits I've seen who are dwarf lops, actually have fully lopped ears and they seem longer (length of the ears) compared to my rabbit who has shorter ears.

And just for the purpose of sharing, here he is sleeping :D relaxing I should say haha

image.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the type of lop he is... he looks to have holland lop in him, he has well furred ears that don't appear to have a fold in them. So overall a decent quality bunny, just his crown isn't right. It takes about 2 years or so for their heads to fully develop. For that reason never count on loppies staying lopped (or if young, not staying lopped if they lop slowly). Each line develops at it's own rate.

Thanks for the reply :) should I be expecting any changes to the form of his ears in the future? He has a large, well, medium sized crown when I look at him birds eye view. There is a fair amount of space between his ears. I don't force his ears to be lopped but when I put them down gently, it's very easy to. There's no resistance or anything and when I let go, one of them falls back to its original positioning (upright sort of) and the other stays lopped

You live in Australia and we do not have Holland Lops here :( he's most likely a Dwarf Lop or Mini Lop depending on his size.

I agree with the others that ears can take time to flop completely, if they do. They might just be a bit crazy for now! He's very cute with his helicopter ears

I hope that I helped :)

His actual crown is actually too small/narrow. A good way that I was taught to find a good shaped head is to picture a triangle going between the eyes with the point on the nose. You ideally want all sides to be equal where as your rabbits eyes are closer together vs the length from eye to nose if that makes sense? At 2.5years his ears most likely won't go back down.

Here's a website with an example http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/hollandlopshead.php

Hollands or dwarf lops as they are known in Australia go through a big ugly stage where they just don't look that great. they are definitely one of those breeds where you may not want to look at them for a while until one day you get them out and they look great! But there are also those that look great as juniors then when they get older and finally finish growing it's not so much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back