Dwarf Hotot jumped over 3’ enclosure wall

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chofamily

Reaction score
Hello! I need some advice.
Please advise what we can do to keep the Dwarf Hotot within the walls of the enclosure.

Also, if we trim down his nails (still safe length) to be closer to the quick, will he be less likely to go on the tile?

The newest member of our family is a 4-month old dwarf hotot that was rescued & from a shelter. He’s very, very social, active & curious. the issues: he jumped the 3’ tall solid opaque wall of the bunny enclosure AND doesn’t mind tile.
He joined our 7-month old Holland Lop, a super chill bunny that’s been with us since he was 2-months old. The Lop has never, ever tried to jump his enclosure walls (only burrow under), and has an aversion to tile, so never leaves the edge of the ~8’x8’ bunny enclosure. The enclosure is three sides of solid 3’ walls and an open side that starts with tile.

We have no experience with a bunny that likes tile nor can jump like Peter Rabbit!

Please advise what we can do to keep the Dwarf Hotot within the walls of the enclosure.

Also, if we trim down his nails (still safe) to be closer to the quick, will he be less likely to go on the tile?

You'll have to put a top on the enclosure or make a taller pen :)
For the top I'd recommend something with ventilation, such as NIC/C&C grids since you have solid walls.

I don't think cutting his nails will affect whether he goes on the tile or not as it wouldn't make him less likely to go in any way. He seems like just a super curious bun- my rabbit is the same way and always tries to escape anything you put her in.

Just an FYI, if the bunnies aren't neutured and/or properly bonded, they may fight especially once the younger's hormones start kicking in. :)

You'll have to put a top on the enclosure or make a taller pen :)
For the top I'd recommend something with ventilation, such as NIC/C&C grids since you have solid walls.

I don't think cutting his nails will affect whether he goes on the tile or not as it wouldn't make him less likely to go in any way. He seems like just a super curious bun- my rabbit is the same way and always tries to escape anything you put her in.

Just an FYI, if the bunnies aren't neutured and/or properly bonded, they may fight especially once the younger's hormones start kicking in. :)
Thanks! I was afraid that we’d have to up the height. 🤦🏼‍♀️Luckily, both are neutered as the Hotot was neutered at the animal shelter. Now, as the 2 males acclimate, the smaller Hotot is being ‘held’ in the portable collapsible enclosure (w/ supervision) placed within the bunny enclosure or in his cage (46.9”x22.8”x24”). The cages are adjacent to each other & the Lop has free roam to/from his. Right now, they’re sniffing each other thru the cage bars. It’s so cute, and I’m hoping they’re going to go from tolerating to friends.

Taller pen, or clip a sheet or something to cover the top of the pen.

3 foot leap for a d. hotot. That's quite the feat. I have hotots, and mine usually wouldn't even attempt to jump over a foot tall enclosure.

@chofamily - Thanks for keeping your boys safe. Thinking ahead to possible dangers or fighting. It is scary when a large or small bun wants to leap over a pen height. Whew, glad the shelter neuters. Hormones and dominance fighting are awful, can be fatal.

@JBun , a stray and intake girl 3.5 lbs shocked us when she took a running leap on carpet in her ample-sized pen and cleared the 3 ft. ex-pen rail and clung onto the cloth-covered end table adjacent to pen rail, then happily proceeded to explore where she wasn't supposed to. Eeeek! I am so grateful no one ever gets injured when attempting these amazing, determined leaps.

You are very thoughtful to be pondering options for safety reasons, chofamily. We have 2 n/male elders who are doing well with a separation panel - TBD if they eventually can co-habitate one huge space.

We never expected our Flemish Giant transition rescue from a cat and dog-focused shelter to leap over a 3-ft exercise pen upon arrival in our home, prior to wellness exam and neuter. He did! Shocked us. Grateful he wasn't hurt! A 48-inch or the tallest available (sturdy) walk-in ex-pen was immediately ordered.

Myself being a tall person or according to your individual preferences for crouching and cleaning, a taller enclosure offers peace of mind.

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_RegalPostNeuterSupperServiceRST.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_RegalPostNeuterSupperServiceRST.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 13
  • JSBPHotoCRRegalRescueBoyWSuperTallXpenMar12_2013RST.jpg
    JSBPHotoCRRegalRescueBoyWSuperTallXpenMar12_2013RST.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
Ye
Taller pen, or clip a sheet or something to cover the top of the pen.

3 foot leap for a d. hotot. That's quite the feat. I have hotots, and mine usually wouldn't even attempt to jump over a foot tall enclosure.
We were shocked too. I wonder if he still remembers being ‘free’ as a younger baby, as a he was rescued from a forest preserve (dumped👎🏻), before being fostered at a vet. He keeps trying to escape, even after failing a jump and getting hung up on the wall (literally belly hanging‼️). Every time I walk by his cage (XL), he’s on his hind legs testing the bars. He even eats with his front legs up in a begging posture. He’s only free roaming in his portion of the enclosure when he has full supervision, until we get the wall enclosure height resolved.
I’ve attached 2 pics, one showing his markings on his back.DC81B807-FC5F-44EE-9FA5-8246715592CB.jpeg69C53337-FB39-4E04-9491-69ACB97A7486.jpeg

@chofamily - Thanks for keeping your boys safe. Thinking ahead to possible dangers or fighting. It is scary when a large or small bun wants to leap over a pen height. Whew, glad the shelter neuters. Hormones and dominance fighting are awful, can be fatal.

@JBun , a stray and intake girl 3.5 lbs shocked us when she took a running leap on carpet in her ample-sized pen and cleared the 3 ft. ex-pen rail and clung onto the cloth-covered end table adjacent to pen rail, then happily proceeded to explore where she wasn't supposed to. Eeeek! I am so grateful no one ever gets injured when attempting these amazing, determined leaps.

You are very thoughtful to be pondering options for safety reasons, chofamily. We have 2 n/male elders who are doing well with a separation panel - TBD if they eventually can co-habitate one huge space.

We never expected our Flemish Giant transition rescue from a cat and dog-focused shelter to leap over a 3-ft exercise pen upon arrival in our home, prior to wellness exam and neuter. He did! Shocked us. Grateful he wasn't hurt! A 48-inch or the tallest available (sturdy) walk-in ex-pen was immediately ordered.

Myself being a tall person or according to your individual preferences for crouching and cleaning, a taller enclosure offers peace of mind.
Q: how long do you intend to have the 2 bunnies only separated by an enclosure wall? And do you intend to try for cohabitation?

We’re nervous that bonding will fail b/c of the personality differences of the 2 bunnies. We’re trying it b/c they’re so young.
Mochi, the Lop/7 months, is super chill and hops at a stroll pace. He’s also moody, known to give you the cold shoulder when he is not happy with you (I.e after I took him to get neutered.) Mushipan, the dwarf Hotot/4 months, is hyper, mischievous & naughty (well, I think he is, given his constant investigation to & attempts to escape.) We were originally trying to rescue another Lop, but the Hotot became available.

Ever since the Hotot pulled a few parkour moves 🤦🏼‍♀️, we keep them in 2 walled areas, side by side, w/ the Hotot only free roaming in his area when he can be very closely watched.

Latest posts

Back