Dutchess not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Dutchess, our beloved lionhead, refused her treats today. Usually she grabs them. About six months ago, vet noticed a small molar spur but said he would recheck it in six months. Now, they only do drop offs due to covid 19. Canypt tell about her poop because she lives with another bunny, Arnold, who us eating enthusiastically. Yesterday, gave her different treats (different dried apple, fresh dandelion greens, fresh carrot tops) after we went for our once weekly shopping with a mask. Dont know if she has digestive troubles or a tooth spur but am very worried. She doesnt look upset but isnt eating her timothy hay either. Left messages with the vet hoping we can get her seen tomorrow.

I’ve heard that molar spurs can cause GI stasis. If you have any, baby gas drops (simethicone) will help ease gas in her stomach if she’s got any. I’d offer her loads hay. If she hasn’t eaten anything in about 7 hours, I’d give her critical care, if you don’t have that pellet mush (pellets soaked in water and mashed into a pancake batter consistency) will substitute it. The sooner she gets seen by a vet the better, as they will be able to determine what’s causing it. Though it’s likely to be the molar spurs.
Good luck!

Thankyou. Couldnt get into either local exotic vet today. Have Mon. Appt. am Gave Dutchess .6 cc of simethacone baby drops and some critical care. She spits most of it out. Still not eating but energetic.

Her being energetic is a good thing. The more movement she gets, the more movement she’ll have in her gut. Be sure to offer her loads of hay and soak her veggies in water before feeding them to her.
How are you syringe feeding the Critical Care to her?Syringe Feeding Guide

Thankyou. Couldnt get into either local exotic vet today. Have Mon. Appt. am Gave Dutchess .6 cc of simethacone baby drops and some critical care. She spits most of it out. Still not eating but energetic.

Anytime I've tried syringe feeding food or gas drops into a rabbit's mouth, they've always spit it out. The only sure way I know to be sure they actually swallow it is to insert the syringe into the side of the mouth and squirt a small amount in the cheek area between the cheek and the teeth. There is something about it being put there, they have no choice but to swallow it. Do a little at a time.

Have been giving Dutchess .3 cc of baby simethicone liquid twice daily and 3 cc of critical care for herbivores every 3 or 4 hrs, 3 or 4 cc per feeding. It is slow but most of it goes in her and not on her fur. Hopefully the vet will trim her teeth tomorrow. She is more energetic, picks up hay and treats and looks sad but doesnt eat them. She is passing small amounts of soft stool. She is separate from her love bunny Arnold so i can keep an eye on her. Am hoping for the best.

I would not have them separated because it will cause her to stress which can make the situation worse. It can also stress him which can cause Gi-stasis.

Hi! I agonized about whether to separate them. She always snuggles back behind him in the two layer cage so i couldnt see if she was eating or pooping. I put her on the toprow and closed it off, so they could see each other and hear each other. But then i could see whether she was eating and how much she was pooping. Vet would not let me drop them off today together.will keep an eye on Arnold and make sure he doesnt have GI stasis. Will get them back together hopefully after Dutchess returns from the vet later today. Am very concerned about her but trying not to call them a lot.

Just brought Dutchess home from the vet. Still a little woozy, not eating yet. Had multiple molar spikes and a lingual spike and lesion. Am so glad we took her. Must have been really hurting her. Am to give her metacam for four days, anti inflammatory. Will let her see Arnold once she is fully awake. Anyone whose rabbit is not eating needs to have vet check for tooth issues as an underlying cause of not eating, weight loss, GI stasis. Hope she is all better soon.

Latest posts

Back