Dutch test Litter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
Well I bred my chinchilla dutch buck with my steel doe, I wanted to test the Chinchilla color genes with a steel to see what it would do. I'm excited to see and track that progress with any one that wants to see!

Born this morning!
DSCN3365.jpg

DSCN3366.jpg

Proves both mommy Natalie and daddy Eliot out. I have a Chin(Eliot) x Chin(Belle) pairing due tomorrow- not sure if the doe, Belle, will keep them this time. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep any of these babies- I might keep a showable one

Are they steels or chinchillas? I can't tell. But beautiful babies. Hopefully one or more will be show quality!

Well from what I've gathered from a genetics person, they should have been steels- the Chin would have still hidden, but they've got light bellies like a chin would and a gray so not really sure what color they are. There's one in there that I'm going to keep my eye on that I like anyway.
She's fostering a blue baby as well. I found the blue baby(it was from an experienced blue doe of mine) cold in the nest box with 3 frozen siblings so I got the one to warm up and I snuggled it in with this litter- so if a blue baby pops up in later pictures it's a foster! I'm not sure it'll make it but we shall see, I haven't had a lot of luck with them surviving after beign cold like that.

Nope, she had 5 and added 1 foster to make it 6. She originally had 6 but one was DOA, making her live count 5, then I added the day younger blue kit to put it back up to six. All fat and healthy too, good first time momma- her momma was one of my first homebred does, so I raised her momma and now her(Mommy's retired now).
But I sneaked a peek this morning, I'll get pictures tomorrow when I can take them out of the box a little longer(was a bit windy today and naturally it was blowing straight through the open doors of the barn) But all 5 are grays, which someone had told me they'd have ended up that way anyway, gray or steel. But they are all Chin carriers, so I *Might* keep a doe from it to breed back to daddy- I'm not really raising grays though. Anxious for when they're old enough to check ring pattern. Daddy's got awesome ring for a Chin, but mommy's a steel (without ring). Weeee Now I just hope that the blue kit is a doe and it'll replace it's momma.

Alright, more hair!! THese are taken during our current cold snap(that thankfully ended today) so the pictures are blurry:
Natalie's Steel x Chin babies:
DSCN3514.jpg

Belle's Chin x Chin babies!:
DSCN3512.jpg

Well hopefully I can get more and new pictures tomorrow of them while it's warmer before the next cold front comes in!

Doesnt the steel gene hide behind others? But come up randomly? Talking to a breeder in Europe, and they do all they can to not breed steel into their herds because it messes up the colors

I dont' know, I used steels cause I wanted to lighten some of my steels with the Chin gene. I know steels dont' breed true (Steel x steel may not produce all steels- grays and blacks and some other oddball colors if applicable) and sometimes can be masked heavily- I know a friend has a 'steel' doe that has the ticking just on her flanks, otherwise she'd be a black. She's out of a Masked steel doe that showed well as a black but produced that funny steel.

Latest posts

Back