Dumb question probably. Mini Rex/Netherland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterfan87

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to ask but it probably involves breed standards...so. I know that Mini Rexes were created by breeding standard rexes to Netherland dwarfs but the ideal seems to be to keep the original Rex appearance, just in a smaller package? I've seen some Mini's that seem to have more ND characteristics but the pedigreed and show mini Rex don't generally?

My question, I guess, is that I love the Rex coat but the body shape of the ND, is there such a thing as Rex coated Netherland dwarfs that look like Netherlands?

There are rex-furred dwarfs, but not in the US as far as I know. In my opinion, though, it would be hard to get the type of a netherland dwarf on a rex-furred rabbit; a lot of the head shape and such is created by the thick, long fur of a dwarf and not the actual structure, so even the 'rex-furred dwarfs' looked more like mini rex with very short ears and a high head mount because the rex fur is shorter than usually less dense than a rollback coat.

There are netherland Dwarfs with rex fur, some look a lot like Netherlands but it’s really hard breeding them. Because it’s not easy getting the shape with round head and small ears because of the Rex fur. The ears often look longer than what they are [emoji5]

I have seen a few attempts in the uk but not many have achieved a proper Rex coat on them, the blue I saw had an extremely long woolly coat, and I've seen two Himalayans with far too many guard hairs. The type was definitely Netherland Dwarf though and I did see one very good black which apart from slight brown shading which I think was bred from sables, it was extremely good coat and type wise, the coat could've competed with any normal black Rex. I believe it was bred from black mini red and sable Netherland Dwarves. I did take photos and will try to add them later :)

Latest posts

Back