Duck tape to discourage chewing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Depressed Rat

Reaction score
One of my rabbits had a bad habit of chewing the legs of my low loft bed which is dangerous. I heard that duck tape can discourage chewing and I wondered if it actually works. If no one knows I'll give it a shot and let everyone know what happens.

Depends on the rabbit, of course, but I would think most rabbits would just chew through the tape. The tape would also leave behind the sticky gunk and possibly ruin whatever surface you put it on.

Clear packaging tape works well because they generally can’t see it so when they try to chew it, they are met with a weird and unpleasant feeling in their mouth. If you have any, you can also spray on some bitter apple spray. These methods worked great for me. Also, if you see your bun trying to chew the tape, push his nose down gently so he will feel inclined to move away. I hope this works for you!

Clear packaging tape works well because they generally can’t see it so when they try to chew it, they are met with a weird and unpleasant feeling in their mouth. If you have any, you can also spray on some bitter apple spray. These methods worked great for me. Also, if you see your bun trying to chew the tape, push his nose down gently so he will feel inclined to move away. I hope this works for you!

the funny thing is I have used that bitter spray many times, she seems to like it. And she choose my bed while I'm sleeping in it at night time. Kind of difficult to climb down the bed and boo her nose since it's a low loft. I've never seen her chew it during the daytime.

Depends on the rabbit, of course, but I would think most rabbits would just chew through the tape. The tape would also leave behind the sticky gunk and possibly ruin whatever surface you put it on.

Well it's already ruined anyway, she did chew the legs a lot. I just want to see if I can stop her before she choose right through my bed falls over (I'll replace my bed before it gets so bad that it might fall over)

I have a wood ladder in my place that goes up to my bed loft that I don't want my buns to ruin, so I went to a dollar store and got some table placemats to wrap around the legs and tape stripped secure.
So far they haven't bothered, so maybe that's the answer for you too.

Latest posts

Back