Drops of blood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killertheturtle

Reaction score
I let my flemmie, Bruce, out to play in his room. He was out for about 20 min and I went to check on him and saw spots of blood on the floor (the floors are concrete). If you put all of the blood together (it was spread out, more in some places than others), it would probably almost fill a water bottle cap.
He is acting fine, eating, wanting treats, happy to see me etc. I checked him the best I could - eyes, ears, feet/nails, mouth. I looked at the inside of his mouth the best I could, but maybe he bit his tongue? I know he was chewing on a bunch of stuff in his room.
This has never happened before. The only thing I could think of today that is different is (please don't get mad) that I was really stressed about finals, and forgot to give him hay and pellets. But I gave him hay and pellets after I put him away and he was eating fine.
There was no blood in his litter box and his poops look normal.
Any ideas?

Of course I will be monitoring closely for any blood or behavior changes. Thanks.

Did you check the pads of his feet? Also can you flip him over and check his undersides.... genitals and testicles???

Only time I have ever had this happen was nail related. are you sure that he didn't lose one?

just keep observing...

in a few days if he hurt himself on something you may be able to feel a scab
for now it seems as if he is OK>:)

but keep us up-dated

He is very difficult to pick up. I did check the bottoms of his feet and the were fine. The first thing I thought was that he lost/broke a nail, I checked them pretty well and did not see any problems. I also ran my hands all over his feet and belly to see if I would pick up any blood. He is neutered, so no testicles, but I did not get a good check of his rear end.
There are no new spots of blood and he is eating and acting just fine. But I will keep my eyes open.

angieluv wrote:
sometimes rabbit urine has pigments that make it orangeish red
are you sure that it was blood??

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

I'm positive it was blood. It was bright red and not in puddles/drops that looked like they were urinated at all. He never pees outside of his box, too. He does have orangeish urine a lot, so I definitely know the difference.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.
He is still doing well.

Latest posts

Back