Dropped rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcje0234

Reaction score
Hi all I’ve seen a couple of rabbits jumping and struggling when being held but I feel this time was a bit different. I’ve had my rabbit for 6 or 7 years now so I’ve accidentally dropped him before but today he struggled out of my arms and jumped onto the concrete today but it wasn’t very high as I was kneeling. I’m concerned because he seemed to act differently than usual as he kept licking at his leg and seemed to move his mouth really weirdly. I kept my distance and tried to give him a treat but he didn’t take it and is now hiding in the bushes. I didn’t get a chance to really examine him and I can’t get him out of the bushes. I’m extra worried because I don’t know if I can get him to the vet due to COVID-19 lockdowns...

Not eating is a sure sign of pain in his mouth and licking his leg also means his leg is in pain. He really needs to get to the vet. Most emergency vets will still be open so maybe you could get him to one of them?

Hi thanks so much for your reply! about half an hour after dropping him he eventually hopped out and ate some carrot, behaving normally so I am assuming things are okay but I'll continue to monitor him! After reading other experiences and being reassured by others I think he might have knocked his breath out/sprained something and needed some time by himself because he hasn't been dropped for a really long time now.

For the future, I suggest you not carry your rabbit in your arms. It is inevitable that a fall will occur (as you have experienced more than once). It is just too unsafe to make a habit of carrying a rabbit.

If you have to get a rabbit from point A to point B, use a carrier or even a box. Even if it is just to get from one room to another.

Thank you for your reply! I agree and understand that a lot of rabbits don’t like to be held so I have not picked him up for almost years now and tell everyone not to. I was in a rush to get him indoors yesterday because it was going to rain but he didn’t budge so I made a rash decision that I regret :(

For the future, I suggest you not carry your rabbit in your arms. It is inevitable that a fall will occur (as you have experienced more than once). It is just too unsafe to make a habit of carrying a rabbit.

If you have to get a rabbit from point A to point B, use a carrier or even a box. Even if it is just to get from one room to another.
Agreed! Mine are too hard to hold..I always use my carrier, for sure

Latest posts

Back