Drooling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
This is from the local rescue forum I'm on...

Sanpras has been drooling for 4 days now, and not eatingmuch. I took her to our vet yesterday, who knows quite a bit aboutbunnies thankfully, and she thinks she has a sick tummy, that when theyget nauseous, they drool, b/c they can't vomit. She gave me some medsfor her...an injection I have to give her 2 times a day (tried lastnight, not sure I pierce her skin), and oral meds twice a day.
The meds are:
injection - .2cc - 2 x day for 3 days of Metoclopramide hcl
orally - .25mls - 2 x day for 10 days Tribissen 24%
I also am to give her some BeneBac

I've heard lots about drooling when there's teeth issues andheat stroke and the like, but is excess saliva a sign of nausea aswell?

sas

My first thought is also a tooth-related issue :?

Very odd. Never heard of the 'bunny drooling'for vomitting, and quite frankly don't trust thatinformation. I'd get a second opinion myself... does soundlike tooth troubles to me too :?.

I've always read that drooling was a sign oftooth/jaw problems or heat stroke too.:? I've heard ofrabbits that were suspected to be nautious (and I think Fey was whenshe was getting Meticam), but it's normally observed as the rabbitrolling it's eyes, appearing unsteady, actually rather similar todizzyness. But hey, if I feel dizzy I feel nautious too.

And why did the vet prescribe an antibiotic?

Did the vet check the teeth or jaw at all? Xray looking for hidden jaw abscesses?

When Penny had a lose tooth, she started todrool. Two different vets missed that she had a losetooth. But after she started drooling, I made sure and toldthe vet to take a closer look at her teeth, and I was right.

naturestee wrote:
And why did the vet prescribe an antibiotic?

Did the vet check the teeth or jaw at all? Xray looking for hidden jaw abscesses?
I think antibiotics are commonly prescribed in case it's a bugupsetting the gut. I do believe my vet (or my vet's partner,actually -- the 'old school' guy) did the same thing the first timePipphad a problem -- which I think turned out to be theoverdose of oats.

I don't normally like to see antibiotics prescribed in case it upsetstheir systems even further,butand after seeing somany necropsy reports where there's been a bacterial lesion found inthe gut, I'm not sure what I think of this anymore. :ponder:

The vet doesn't think it's teeth, this is is part of her post...

The vet also really moved her jaw around alot, and saideverything felt really good, plus she seemed to get a decent look atthe back teeth, she was very surprised she was able to at all, withouthaving to put her under.

sas

The drooling could have any number of causes -- teeth problems are the most common cause.

Also, toxic feed/plants, viral infection resulting in sores in themouth orfood jammed into gum causing infection. Choking alsocauses drooling. (But not the cause in this case). I haven'tgenerally seen rabbits with viral infections or stomach upset drooling- but It is possible.

However, I think the vet should certainly examine further.

If possible - have the original poster explain the situationhere. It can be far more helpful to get information from theperson actually having the problem rather than trying to extract whatis going on second hand.

Pam

:yeahthat
I can't add to the good advice already given.

As already mentioned, I would suspect some kind of underlaying tooth/jaw issue.

~Jim

Pam: I like the avatar:thumbup

Latest posts

Back