Drinking from bowl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
Lately I have been putting a bowl filled with water in Silver's cage along with his usual bottle. I want him to use a bowl for many reasons two being the fact that I know he will drink more that way, and it will be easier to clean than a water bottle. He does not seem to be paying any attention to the bowl and I was simply wondering how to get him to learn how to drink from it.

You're right, a bowl will cause less issues because it is easier to clean and the position of the rabbit when drinking is a lot more natural than with the bottle.
Some rabbits take to it faster than others, though. Take out the water bottle so he won't have a choice.
One of my rabbits was pretty reluctant to use it, as he came from a place where they were using water bottles. It took him three days to do so (in the meanwhile, I gave him plenty of moist leafy greens and syringe-fed him a bit of water once in a while because I was worried he would get deshydrated). In the end, I bought a little bottle of organic carrot juice and put a tiny bit of it in the water of the water bowl. He began to drink from it right away. I did it again the next day to be sure and after that it was only water but he's been drinking very well from it ever since.
Maybe you can try to do the same thing?

I would be reluctant to take away the water bottle, but what I've done in the past is drop a couple of tasty leaves into the water bowl. Show them to your bunny as you put them in, then he essentially has to use the bowl to be able to get to the leaves. Might help him get used to using it :)

I don't think I will take the water away right now because Silver can be quite stubborn and I wouldn't want for him to get dehydrated. I will try putting both these things in the water to see if he will drink it. Thank you all who have replied so far.

Personally, I only use ceramic bowls for their food and water. The heaviness of the bowls should keep them from flipping it over and much easier to clean. Bino came from a rescue and I think he was also on the bottle. As soon as I put him in the temporary holding area, he went straight for the water bowl. I thought maybe something was wrong with him because he was going through so much water. He adjusted after a week, but the litter box was quite heavy during that time.

Let your rabbit decide which one he likes better. Put the bottle and bowl side-side and watch the water levels. Hopefully he'll switch over because it's just so much more convenient you and your rabbit.

Yes, I am also using a ceramic bowl as I found it to be the heaviest bowl his size that I had! When i got my bun, he had been using a bottle too. I will try putting some of the leafy greens he likes in the bowl tonight and see if it works.

Last edited:
Stewie has only ever drank out of a bowl, not sure what the breeder used (neglected to ask) but he took to the bowl with no issues...The only problem is this (see picture) he somehow tips his food bowl over into his water bowl! Pretty talented if you ask me because the bowl has to be pretty heavy to a 6lb. bunny. :)

image.jpg

When I swapped Gandalf to a bowl I put a few drops of apple juice in the water to encourage him. Then I showed it to him, dipped my finger in the water and held it out to him, he licked the water from my finger then I showed him the bowl and he went straight to drinking from it. As soon as I knew he could drink from the bowl I removed the bottle and he was fine.

So last night I put some of his greens in the bowl. He pulled some of them out and some of them, but some were still sitting in the bowl this morning. I think I may try putting either the organic carrot juice or the apple juice in there when I get some.

Just wondering if I would be able to put a drop of organic orange juice in the bowl as I do not have apple juice?

Latest posts

Back