dreams of a gentle giant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyrat

Itchy
Reaction score
since my beloved Dobby passed away its been so empty with just little Harley left, so I've started to think about getting another family addition, and this time I want a free range little giant, and I'm now in the process of deciding which breed would suit me the best.
I've only had dwarf rabbits before, so I'm a total noob when it comes to giant breeds, so now i wonder a bit about your collected experience about the different breeds

I got Brooke from a rescue. She's 10 pounds and growing and is a year old. She is in the photo on the left in my avatar.
She has been great and I call her my bunny dog. Whenever I take a bath I put her in the bathroom with me and she
stretches out beside the bathtub or across from it and goes to sleep. She is great. I love her. Whatever breed she is I would recommend that one or one like her. I've heard Flemming Giant's are good breeds also to have..

Hopefully someone else on the list will pipe in as well!

However, good luck and I would recommend you check out rescues near by and also there is a Dutch on this board in Ohio that needs a home as well..

Good luck
Vanessa

your Brooke sounds like a lovely girl, but sadly there are no real rescues here in sweden :(
and I actually prefer getting a young rabbit to an older rescue, especially since my plan is to have it running free in my apartment, to be able to mold it more

(I've had an older rescue before, and we never really connected)

I have two Flemish Giants. Personality wise Conan my buck is a grump and Xena is rebellious. Sadly they are not cuddle buns but they are pretty friendly, especially towards my wife. If you lay down with them they come around, Xena licked me once and they like to jump on me on occasion. They accept pets, but won't really lay down next to me just near me. With a big bun your getting all the issued you do with a little one just bigger. When they destroy, its on a larger scale, when they rattle their food dish it resonates throughout the house. Picking them is wrong will scratch you up something awful, but luckily they nip, never bite.

Food wise, I guess I do things pretty economically since I buy bulk pellets and hay . A 50lb bag cost $12 dollars and lasts me 2 months, 50lb bale of hay coats me $12 and lasts 6 months, greens as treats cost $30 a month, and 4 40lb bags of wood pellet litter $16 a month. So to me its not all that costly for two big rabbits.

Personally I love the big rabbits. I enjoy watching them binky (it looks a lot more awkward with rabbits this size but still a joy), their bunny 500 are truly a thing to see, not fast but powerful. And the way they manhandle their toys is almost scary. Good luck with your search, I know for me its the bigger buns that capture my heart.

Personally, I can't offer any big bun advice but wanted to say, "I'm so glad you have decided to add another bun since the passing of Dobby." It still breaks my heart to think of Dobby's passing as I'm sure Dobby will always hold a very special place in your heart. Hope some of our members can help point you in the right direction to find the right bunny for you & Harley. Bunny hugs to you & Harley!

its mainly a Flemish giant I've considered, but also a flemish/french lop cross, the only thing I'm certain of is that I'd love if he had giant antennae ears :p

I still grieve the loss of my special Dobby, but considering that I completely unexpected became more or less homeless in october, it was "for the better" not having to move her around when its so cold outside
but don't worry, Harley has been living at my parents, and has gotten quite spoiled, and is a bit grumpy over the fact that she shares a room with a handsome lionhead male who she is absolutely smitten with

I know what you mean about having to work with older rabbits. Brooke is about a year old and still pretty young in my book!
I had no idea you were overseas and I hope everything works out with you getting a place set up for your new bunny! Let us know what you finally decide on!

Take care
Vanessa

I have a male intact Flemish giant. He is going on two years old and I have had him since he was ten weeks old.

If all bunnies were like him and I was not married I would probably have a house full. He has had free run of a room since the day after we brought him home. He is only in his cage which is an extra large dog cage when we are not home or when we are asleep. When he was younger we did have some issues with him chewing the wall trim but now that he is older he doesn't chew.

He has always been fine with petting. He's a little sensitive about his feet and belly but now even those areas can be petted unless he is feeling energetic, then he just hops away. He has never shown any signs of aggression. He has only sprayed a few times and that was only when he could get within a foot of the two intact females. An X pen placed around their cage took care of that and he has not sprayed again.

He used to like playing chase where he would chase me around for a while and then I would chase him. Now though that he is older he prefers pets to playing and will nudge me when I am in his room repeatedly until I do pet him. He is getting used to having free run at times in the dining room and den as well as the bun room. I have had him sit next to me on our chair for an hour being petted while I watched tv.

When he was little he would climb into my lap and eat hay or pellets from my hand. As he got bigger he stopped this but over the past several months he has started climbing half way into my lap for pets. He's doesn't like being picked up but that is my fault for not doing so when he was younger because I was afraid of him being injured. I'm sure if I had picked him up at that time then he would be ok with it now.

Not much spooks him, not loud noises, children or other animals including my large dog. He has been fine with a roomful of kids and adults rolling balls across the floor and being loud.

I plan to always have a flemmie in my home and always a male.

We have a female Checkered Giant that is really sweet and really big--had her on a diet for several months and she's down to a good weight, a little over 7 kilos. She is very friendly and affectionate with us and is a lap bunny, but, she doesn't get along well with other bunnies.

now I'm considering a "little" Flemish even more after you told me about your wonderful boy PaGal
its that kind of bunny I want, independent, but still cuddly and playful on their own term :)

I guess I have to try to visit a breeder or owner of a flemmie soon enough so that I can see how they are first hand :)

I would definitely visit a breeder, maybe even more than one. I belong to a flemmie group on facebook and most people have the same things to say about their flemmies. They do seem to make good pets including house pets. Typically they are pretty laid back and easy going. Of course, as you know all buns have there own personality. Make sure when you go to a breeders that you ask to see the parents. I think a good breeder would be more than happy to have you see the parents and would spend time answering all of your questions.

sadly, the nearest serious flemmie breeder is a whole days trip away :/
so I think I will have to limit my breeder visits a bit to save a bit of money, because a purebred Flemish giant can be very expensive here :(
100$ and up
and the trip to get it will cost about 50$:sigh:

and now I told my bff about my plans on getting a flemish giant, and as it turns out, it's his girlfriends dream rabbit, and we will be having a bit of fun with taking photos of her and the rabbit once it's grown
(his girlfriend is very short, and loves to accentuate that fact)

I don't have any personal experience, but I researched a fair bit into giant buns as I was planning on adopting a british giant. I hear that flemish and british giant buns are lovely breeds. Though I think that rabbits are all different and have unique personalities. Going down and meeting a couple would probably end in the best choice.
I'm so sorry about the passing of Dobby, condolences. I hope you find a new little (or giant) bun soon!

All the best :brownbunny

Latest posts

Back