Dragging hind quarters. Thought she was paralyzed.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocoa

Cocoa's Mamma
Reaction score
A week ago, Friday, Willow was spayed. She has been healing beautifully. We brought te smaller cage with both bunnies on our camping trip so we could keep an eye on them. (No worries, air conditioned camper)

Last night I went in to say hi and check on them and Willow drug herself over to me with her back end on its side and only using the one back leg. I totally freaked. Gently lifted her put of the cage and set her on te floor to better observe and she did the same dragging crawl. Then she peed on the floor. She is litter box trained so I thought oh gosh, she is partially paralyzed.

She drug herself around some more and then I started to really panick. We cleaned her up since she peed and then drug herself through it. Thenoved her onto the carpet where she gradually started to act like her normal self. She started hopping around, periscoping, etc.

How odd!! Then I thought could it be a bladder infection? Did it just burn so bad she was clenched up in pain?

Thoughts? We go home later tonight and I can probably get her to the veto day evening but thought I would ask and see if any of you have an idea of whatay be going on.

There could be several causes, but a common cause of hind end paralysis in rabbits is the parasite E. cuniculi, I don't know much about it but it's a likely candidate and should be tested for.

A week ago, Friday, Willow was spayed. She has been healing beautifully. We brought te smaller cage with both bunnies on our camping trip so we could keep an eye on them. (No worries, air conditioned camper)

Last night I went in to say hi and check on them and Willow drug herself over to me with her back end on its side and only using the one back leg. I totally freaked. Gently lifted her put of the cage and set her on te floor to better observe and she did the same dragging crawl. Then she peed on the floor. She is litter box trained so I thought oh gosh, she is partially paralyzed.

She drug herself around some more and then I started to really panick. We cleaned her up since she peed and then drug herself through it. Thenoved her onto the carpet where she gradually started to act like her normal self. She started hopping around, periscoping, etc.

How odd!! Then I thought could it be a bladder infection? Did it just burn so bad she was clenched up in pain?

Thoughts? We go home later tonight and I can probably get her to the veto day evening but thought I would ask and see if any of you have an idea of whatay be going on.

I would get her to the vets could be some type of nerve damage from the surgery, you never know. I would not wait on this...

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back