Dortmund - Self free-ranging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week Dortmund decided that he would be a free range rabbit. After falling off my bed three times, he took the plunge and jumped off. The first two nights I recaptured him in the evening but let him run around during the day. On Friday I just let him be and started to set things up for him on the floor.

I have a few concerns.

1) most importantly — how long will it take for him to grow tired of his new freedom and come periodically to let me pet him. For the most part all he has done has been hide. I only see him when I feed him and occasionally when I get up to use the bathroom. I was sick this weekend and I could have used some nose snuggling and petting time.

2) is there a way to avoid stepping on rabbits? A couple times when he has ventured out from his various hiding spots I’ve almost tripped over the little fuzz ball. He seems to want to just scurry in between my feet while I try to walk.

2) you can learn walking without lifting your feet.

1) it is your decision how much freedom he gets if you want him to rule he will, otherwise you need to create your own rules and let him know what's allowed what's not in your house. Just create a routine rabbits love routine and make sure there's time for cuddles as well.

You just need to learn not lifting your feet that high while walking around. So if you walk into them, it will just be a shove.

When I want a bit snuggle time with my bunnies, I just pick them up. Lay on the couch or bed and my bunnies will make themself comfortable for a snuggle time. Depending on which bunny, they will tolerate different time. If I’m down they will stay longer next to me :3

Odin can just stay for max 20 mins often it’s shorter while Toste and Lilja can stay for 1 to 3 hours. If I’m down they will stay longer. Don’t know how long Dortmund can handle snuggle time ^^

Musti will also always, always hop on my bed when given grazing time. He just looooves my bed for one reason or another, grunting and digging at it. He will then sometimes climb all over me and then plop down to rest beside me when i'm reading. He won't usually stay longer than Hermelin's Odin would, usually he rests beside me for 2-3minutes and then go stomping around for 5-7, then flop down again somewhere and hop in his cage to lazy some more.

Right now... Dortmund can handle at most 30 seconds of being touched. He is very skittish. And he might actually be scared which is why the keeps hiding. I fixed his litter bowl this morning and he ignored it and when I moved it in front of him, he grabbed a sprig of basil and ran off. He has been drinking .since every once in a while I can hear him lapping at his water.

I'm thinking about capturing him for a day or two and putting him back into his cage. At least he will eat well and be comfortable before he goes off and acclimatizes himself to his free roming ways.

except of course I should mention that whenever I pick him up. From the very first days I've had him, he piddles on me, just a little bit.

Can you post a pic of his setup? Maybe his litter box is not where he likes.
I think limiting his territory for a while would be a good idea, maybe for a week and you can start after that. I think you now have him for about two months judging from your registration date, it was all new experience for you and you just let him do whatever he wants which was wise because you had a chance to study him, now he's 2 months older, fixed and healed, you are generally bonded and maybe it is time to give him a bit of training. Only if you are out for Christmas as I understood for a month and will be living somewhere with other people and dogs it can change things and you might want to start it after you are back

I would then recommend to have Dortmund in an encloser until you make him tame but still let him free roam a couple of hours.

Both Odin and Toste was skittish bunny at first, Toste was the worse. He was so scared that he was aggressive.

Keping both of them in an enclosed area, made it a lot easier to interact with them and make them get used with new things and building their bond.

I always let my bunny free roam the whole day when they are tame and socialized. Before that they only have a few hours outside their living area. Otherwise I would never meet them and getting them out from under the bath tub it’s impossible xD

I caught him and put him in his cage. He is a bit angry with me and definitely thumping every time he sees me. I also took the time to vacuum since his space needed it.

That said, a few minutes ago I saw that he had uninated on the floor of his cage rather than in his bedding. The color is awful. I called the vet and she said that sometimes stress can cause a bit of blood to get into the urine. He is eating and drinking and acting regular so the receptionist talked me out of bringing him into the office right away. However I do have an appointment on Friday.

I thought I would post a picture just in case anyone here has any thoughts.

IMG_0464.jpeg

Have Dortmund been eating carrots or any other food that color his urine. It’s quite normal to get red urine if he have been getting treats or eating something like dandelion :3

What you should worry are when the urine have drops of blood in it, which you can notice if he pee on a surface that absorbs the urine.

But urine change color from red to pale yellow depending on the diet and what they eat ^^

It can be stones in the urinary and other things. But it rarely happens, so don’t stress over it.

Red urine it’s normal for bunny to get, had it many times. Often it’s something they have been eating :3

I caught him and put him in his cage. He is a bit angry with me and definitely thumping every time he sees me. I also took the time to vacuum since his space needed it.

That said, a few minutes ago I saw that he had uninated on the floor of his cage rather than in his bedding. The color is awful. I called the vet and she said that sometimes stress can cause a bit of blood to get into the urine. He is eating and drinking and acting regular so the receptionist talked me out of bringing him into the office right away. However I do have an appointment on Friday.

I thought I would post a picture just in case anyone here has any thoughts.

View attachment 44264
Charlie has has red/ red orange urine after strawberry. Most6now we only give home the tops

Thanks about the Strawberries. I hadn't thought of that.
I was going to mention the same thing...it’s probably from food.
My buns will pee outside of the box once or twice every time I change their litter box fully! I think they are letting me know they would rather have their old, poopy one! LOL... After the first day, they are back in the litter box. I have their box on a tray too so if they do that it’s easy to clean.
I would limit his space for a while....from now until after you are back home after your trip. You want him to feel secure with you before you travel so he knows he can come to you for comfort. One of mine, whom I thought hated me, jumped from the vet table right into my arms once. Happiest day ever *sniffle sniffle*
When mine were young they ran from me all the time and I wanted to cuddle them so bad! I set up a routine for them and just like clockwork, they were in the middle of the living room rug right at 8pm waiting for their treats. I took that opportunity to pet and love on them. After treat time, they hopped right over to their nighttime house for bed where they stay until I get up in the morning to them biting the house and shaking it with their teeth to be let out for the day! They stare at me like they are in jail!!! They love routine.
Now that they are 3, they are much calmer and don’t run from me. I can scoop them up and they will sit on my chest on the couch for a while. One has even started teeth purring! About **** time they stopped fighting my affection! LOL...

Last edited:
Dortmund clacks his teeth when I scratch him in that special spot between his eyes and ears. Sometimes just a little and sometimes a lot.

Latest posts

Back