Don't-like breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyKatMe

Reaction score
We've all seen posts about our favorite breeds, but what about the breeds we don't like? Obviously, all bunnies are adorable, but some breeds are just more likable then others... I don't personally like Giant Angoras, Californians, Florida Whites, Himalayans, or Satin Angoras. This is just from the ones I've met. Anyone else? Just thought it'd be something to think about :)

I can't say I've had extensive experience with various breeds but I know and have been around a few. I'd have to say Netherland Dwarf, Britannia Petite, Belgian Hare and most really woolly/furry breeds. The first set is cause I'm not a fan of small or skinny (Heh truly I like big buns) finding them visually unappealing, and the other set for practicality reasons as I don't want to dedicate my life to grooming.

the only other rabbit ive been around except a rex and NZ is the ND. I dont find them very appealing. the one I was around was very mean...literally hanging from the bars on her cage and shaking it and trying to bite....really angry bunny

I don't care for the big breeds, Flemish and California's, Giant Chinchillas etc. I don't even know why. They intimidate me for some reason.:p and I met a California one time who was SO mean. Unfortunately that sticks in your head....like Rachels story about the ND.

I also don't care for red eyed rabbits. They freak me out......

BUT they are all still cute in their own way of course :)

Ours are rescues. We've had everything from a Netherland to a Checkered Giant--he was very small and anti-social and she's very large, active and a lap bunny. The only ones that we would shy away from are the long haired breeds, but if it came to rescuing we'd just do a lot of clipping.

i like all rabbits but some more than others, i love the big breeds best. I do have to admit though some are cuter than others

I agree with Lisa. The REW kinda freaks me out too. But it's not bunny specific. Whats with the Britannia petite hating? They're little fire crackers! But I have one so I may be slightly slanted opinion wise.

I'm not a huge fan of Neatherlands Dwarfs. Everyone seems to want tiny bunnies as if there's no other kinds.. so I have a bit of hate out for them. I don't HATE long furred breeds, but I'd never ever want one. A part from that I love all the bunnies.

I raised Californians for 4 years and HATE them. The only reason I got them was I wanted to do well at the FFA show and it was imposible to win with a mini rex. (my senior year I decided to show just californians to better my chances and a Mini Rex WON. And of course that mini rex that won was one that I BREED and sold. STILL kicking my self for that). Also at a coop show I was at one of my californians almost amputated my finger. I was at another coop show once and had to get some crazy birtania petiets out of their cages because everybody else was to scared to. Those things are evil. Another breed (or group of breeds) that I do not like now are the long haired ones. Since having Beauty (jersey wooly) I realize how much of a pain to groom they are and how messy they are. I guess you could say that I am not a fan of the running breeds. They just have too much energy. I have a friend who breeds english spots and they are crazy.

Sorry that this list is so long. I just have experience with lots of breeds.

MiserySmith wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Neatherlands Dwarfs. Everyone seems to want tiny bunnies as if there's no other kinds.. so I have a bit of hate out for them. s.

Says the owner of a holland Lop a tiny breed of rabbit created from Netherland dwarfs.:p

Sorry, that just struck me as bit ironic :wink

They're still not the same :p and I didn't get him simply because I wanted a 'small and easy' rabbit. He was an emergency rescue. I probably wouldn't have ever gotten or enjoyed lops if it wasn't for him. :)

Lop breeds don't really appeal to me. They are cute and all, but they have never really hit me as something I would have.
Rex and mini rex are the same, nothing that I really find all that special. Rex fur seems to cause me problems as well, I tend to have problems with the fine fur going everywhere.
Really little breeds, like netherland dwarfs are too small. I like something a bit bigger. The little guys seems to be harder to handle and more fiesty. Some have reputations for bad behaviour as well, I know not all are like that though. That being said, if there was one that was a bit calmer I might consider it.

I do like big fluffy bunnies. If I had my way (and the money and easier access to a rabbit), I would get another REW giant angora again.

well, I tend to have problems with the fine fur going everywhere.

^^^^i agree. I still love my mini Rex but a long haired breed like Agnes is much cleaner because if she sheds or molts, her hair is in clumps and stays where it fell off. Archies hair flies EVERY where. It's a bit much for my neat freak personality ;) I don't see myself having a Rex breed again.

I personally do not like and would never raise any of the popular breeds. Such as mini rex, hollands, nethies or especially lionheads. BUT I can appreciate a very cute bunny when I see it in those breeds.

I love to go against the norm which is why I love all full-arch breeds. Oh and belgians are skinny but definitely not small. They need just as much area and special care as flemish. They are pretty big rabbits with a max weight of 9.5lbs.

I don't really see the appeal of Lionheads (my personal opinion of course) or many of the lop breeds. I could only see myself really enjoying the French lop, if I had to choose one.

While they're certainly pretty and look very fun, I don't think that I'd be able to spend enough time and energy on one of the wool breeds.

I'm also not a huge fan of any breed in REW. The eyes don't bother me, I just think they're boring. :p

I don't love giant breeds, as in, I wouldn't ever want to own them, but they are SO cute! I don't like red eyed rabbits either. Jersey woolies and Angoras look strange to me... And some nethies have weirdly shaped heads that I've never been a fan of. :p

I love lops, but I don't like angora breeds (which is ironic because I have a Lionhead). I typically like small, chunky, laid-back bunnies. I have 5 Mini Rexes, but I don't think I'll get another because the fine hair everywhere:p. I'm not a huge fan of any giant breeds except Flops and Elops. I think NDs are adorable. What's all the hate? I love Hollands and Mini Lops. I see bunnies as little fluffballs that I can hold without getting smooshed, so I prefer small breeds.:)

LOL Elizabeth but the REW breeds always win best in show :p

Or at least here in Texas. It gets pretty easy if you don't have to worry about getting the right coloring. I just can't handle Hollands and mini Rex I think they are cute and pretty but down here they are so competitive and super overrated. I like those kind of breeds that make people say oh I have never seen one of those!

Hmmm...I don't care forNDs because oftheir blocky heads. I've also heard and seen some that were just plain wicked! I don't care for the English Lop and their overgrown ears and Angora's have WAY too much hair to take care of!

Latest posts

Back