Don't feed rabbits lettuce?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything (within reason) in moderation. Introduce new greens slowly, and don't feed a huge quantity of any one type. If you provide grass hay, a bit of alfalfa, pellets, and a mix of fresh greens, they will pretty much self regulate. In our case we also provide twigs from our apple and pear trees (and sometimes other trees and shrubs), especially in winter. Occasional little treats of apple, banana, pear, or carrot.

I, too, think in terms of "what do the wild ones get". In spring and summer, wild rabbits eat mostly grasses and herbaceous plants (weeds, wildflowers). The leafy greens we humans eat were all bred from wild plants, so they are nutritionally similar. Therefore it makes sense to me to feed some to rabbits. Winter is the leaner period, when wild rabbits eat a lot of bark and twigs, so I give mine some twigs in winter and cut down on greens.

As for pellets, I give my 3 lb Netherland dwarf about 2-3 TBSP per day. And he always has unlimited grass hay available.

Latest posts

Back