dominence behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujub793

Reaction score
i have a male and female rabbit. Walter has been neutered but Willow has not. Willow is a 5 month old standard rex and Walter is some type of mini/dwarf lop. Just recently i have begun to let them out of their cages at the same time. Prior to this they were let out separately or kept apart in different rooms. Their cages are side by side since i've had them so they are used to each.

Today for the first time since i had let them out together i am noticing them each trying to hump each other. I assumed that Walter would be the dominant one since he is like 1 1/2 years old and Willow is just a baby still. But i am seeing that SHE is the one trying to hump him (and he lets her). My question is.... because she is the larger of the two breeds does that mean she will try to be "top bunny'? Does size matter in this situation? :?

Sounds normal to me. Dominance is a lot about personality.

I'd suggest if your going to bond them you set aside a weekend and do it somewhere neutral. Once they get the humping out of the way they'll settle down. When they are back and forth she has to re-establish dominance each time so it draws it out more.

Latest posts

Back