Dogs and Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyTheBunny

Reaction score
Any tips on having dogs and rabbits together? We have 2 dogs, a senior rat-terrier male named Scout and a 4 year old malti-poo-terrier mix named Daisy. And of course my indoor Holland Lop Lucy. I want to free roam Lucy in my room but the problem is Diasy. Daisy is my baby and follows me everywhere. She sleeps with me in bed, and if she doesn't get enough attention she demands it! Shes a smallish dog and so far has been extremely interested in Lucy since we got her (the bunny) a few days ago. I hate to keep Daisy out of my room and I know she will take up really bad habits if I do and Lucy can't be free-roamed in any other room at this time. We have done some introductions
At first we just let Daisy smell and watch Lucy as she ran around in her X-pen. Then we took Daisy in with Lucy to let them sniff eachother and thouroughly inspect eachother. This was in a controlled enviroment as its a "small" X-pen and there were 2 people on guard ready to grab the dog if she snapped. Later we let them hang out in a less guarded situation I guess. There was oen person (me) and I supervised. Just now I let Lucy out of her X-pen and she had the whole room (tables and hideouts to run to as well as her homebase) and once Lucy was comfortable with her surroundings I let Daisy interact.
So far Daisy hasn't snapped or growled or show any aggressive signs. However, shes licked and playbowed to Lucy. The rabbit has been around dogs her whole life so she was unfazed by Daisy (a little uncomfortable when Daisy was licking her) and the dog was just locked onto Lucy. I ended this interaction when Daisy nudged her and pawed at her too much.
So I dont exactly what to think now or where to go. I want Lucy to have the room, but I ddon't know if the dog will allow it. The ultimate goal is to have Lucy free-range over the whole house and live happily with our dogs (maybe have a few litters) but right now thats not possible, due to young children (7) and the 2 dogs.
Any tips would be gladly appreciated!! Sorry for such a long story to read but I felt like I had to get as many details out yto make it easier for people to answer. Thank you all so much!

Thank you so much! Actually last night as i was going to the bathroom I came back and Lucy had jumped out of her cage onto my bed! Daisy was laying in the same spot she was when I left her and they were so happy lol. Of course that was when Daisy was sleeping so we'll have to see what she thinks today. And I'll definately implement those tips!
What breed is your puppy?

Thank you so much! Actually last night as i was going to the bathroom I came back and Lucy had jumped out of her cage onto my bed! Daisy was laying in the same spot she was when I left her and they were so happy lol. Of course that was when Daisy was sleeping so we'll have to see what she thinks today. And I'll definately implement those tips!
What breed is your puppy?
That’s great! I’d be a little weary just because some rabbits just drive a dogs instincts crazy!
My pup is a 4 month old chow chow! And despite his stubborn behaviour he is learning all kinds of tricks really well! He just learned Paw and his stay is good for about 25 seconds! It doesn’t sound like much but to a puppy waiting for food, it’s great :).

Oh cute! Chows are adorable. I can control Daisy pretty easily -I-ve been obediance training her since I first got her at 3 months- and i don't think she'd pull anything with a human around but when I saw them together I was super shocked! I found how she got out though, she has a hideout thing I made that she can also sit on top and I guess she jumped from that on top of her cage, over my rat's food bin thats on top (it's pretty big to) and onto my bed. Escape artist lol

Oh cute! Chows are adorable. I can control Daisy pretty easily -I-ve been obediance training her since I first got her at 3 months- and i don't think she'd pull anything with a human around but when I saw them together I was super shocked! I found how she got out though, she has a hideout thing I made that she can also sit on top and I guess she jumped from that on top of her cage, over my rat's food bin thats on top (it's pretty big to) and onto my bed. Escape artist lol
Animals are waayyy smarter than we remember!

My pup is a 4 month old chow chow! And despite his stubborn behaviour he is learning all kinds of tricks really well! He just learned Paw and his stay is good for about 25 seconds! It doesn’t sound like much but to a puppy waiting for food, it’s great :).
Cute! My dad grew up with chow chows and is always wanting one. That is until he sees the vet bill for shots.

I want Lucy to have the room, but I ddon't know if the dog will allow it. The ultimate goal is to have Lucy free-range over the whole house and live happily with our dogs (maybe have a few litters) but right now thats not possible, due to young children (7) and the 2 dogs.
Any tips would be gladly appreciated!!

We have always had our dogs and rabbits get along. I explain in detail (with progress photos) how we've accomplished this. It's here on my website.

In short, you have to teach your dog what behavior is acceptable toward the rabbit. Nudging and pawing is not acceptable behavior, for example, so she needs to be told 'no' when she does that. It is a process that should begin with baby steps that I explain on the site.

upload_2020-3-11_13-3-6.png

Latest posts

Back