Dog help anyone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternationalBunnies

Reaction score
Hi, we have a Yorkie and I had found that she had poop stuck to her fur, therefore, I went to bathe her. While I was bathing her, I noticed that her anus was red, swollen, releasing an awful odor, and appeared abnormal. I know this is a rabbit forum, but does anyone know what is wrong and what to do? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403819651.433914.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403819663.594312.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403819678.966917.jpg

Take her to the vets asap. Looks infected/abscessed anal glands. Have seen infected glands literally blow out the side of the dogs bum because nothing was done about it. Even if its not, that doesn't look good.

Agree with Watermelons. Small breed dogs in particular seem to be prone to impacted anal glands, and without proper treatment, they can rupture or cause serious systemic infections. Do not try to express the glands yourself; it can cause a painful and deadly rupture.

You also don't want to express the glands yourself because the stuff that can squirt out stinks to high heaven :p When your dog poops, are the poops generally quite soft? I ask because I've heard it can also be caused due a diet that consistently causes softer stool, because a firmer stool would express the gland on the way out (the reason dog poop smells so bad).

Definitely requires a trip to the vet.

It doesnt look like anal glands to me, its very common for dogs to get a sore bum from stuck on poop. A vet visit is a must, but you can put some zincofax on it in the mean time (i'm a vet tech)

It doesnt look like anal glands to me, its very common for dogs to get a sore bum from stuck on poop. A vet visit is a must, but you can put some zincofax on it in the mean time (i'm a vet tech)

I was just going to say this too, doesn't look like anal glands to me either, just irritation from stuck on poo.

It was irritation with her anal glands, however, it was not that severe yet. She have us a cream and it definitely helped.

Latest posts

Back