Dog doesn’t like new rabbit! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deedeek1

Reaction score
I have a two dogs. One is calm and likes to be around my new bunny and the other one (that I got from the pound) is more aggressive towards him, so much that I had to put my rabbits cage in my room and so I barely can see him throughout the day. Any tips on getting my dog used to him? Or how to bond with my rabbit outside of his cage in places other than my bed (my room is not very spacious)?

For bonding with your rabbit, a small room is actually ideal. Too much space isn't going to help. In fact, it's usually recommended to put an x-pen around a cage to create a small exercise area and then you sit inside that area so bunny can get used to you. This is how you go about bonding with a rabbit.

As for exercise, if you want more space for him after you've been bonding awhile, they best way to do that is to use a carrier to take bunny to a larger enclosed room (safe from dogs if the 2nd dog is still an issue).

As for teaching a dog to get along with a rabbit, that can be done with the right dog. Not all dogs can learn to get along with rabbits. Even a dog that may get along must still be trained. You must be alpha over your dog. He must listen to your commands. You basically will be teaching him what is and what is not acceptable behavior. It isn't a matter of seeing what happens but actively training. Here is some more info on how I've trained my dogs but it isn't something that will work with all dogs.

Latest posts

Back