Dog Collar..on a Bunny?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachaeeelanneee

Reaction score
I was recently at our local humane society, trying to decide if I was going to get another pet or not. There was also this family there, adopting a rabbit. And one of their younger kids, bends down and puts a dog collar on their new rabbit. Is this safe?

Hmmm, I wouldn't personally put a dog collar on a rabbit, just because I'm not going to ever try to lead the rabbit around by it's neck!
Plus, I'd be too scared that it would get stuck on something while the bunny was out exploring...unless it had an emergency break away feature [like cat collars have] I wouldn't. Too much risk.

I would worry that if the rabbit went under the couch or bed the collar could get hung up and the rabbit could essentially "hang" itself and die :/
But, that's just my own personal opinion.

I personally wouldn't use a dog collar, if i put a collar on any of the three in my house (which probably will happen after we move) I would use the break away kitten collars so if they do get caught they will just come off. All three rabbits her do have harnesses though that they put up with.

The best & only way to use a leash with a bunny is with a harness such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BHGNFS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Bunnies are unpredictable with movements & so a harness with a bungee leash is the safest to use. I only use mine for agility training & the occasional short periods outside with me holding the leash while my bunny looks/hops around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't. Too risky that they could get stuck on something and strangle themselves. Even a kitty break away one I would not trust because if the bun got hung up even for a moment and freaked out because of being stuck it could injure itself.

Also, if a bun was running with one on and hung up on something it could be injured.

I'd be more worried it would hurt itself trying to scratch/chew it off. Bunnies don't have visible necks like dogs and cats do, a collar would probably chafe and severely annoy it.

Latest posts

Back