Dog/Cat help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tally943

Reaction score
So My dog is on a special diet and we keep her food in the kitchen. My cat, will eat the food and then throw up afterwards even though he always has access to his cat food. It is hard for me to schedule feeding times for my dog because she is 12 years old and its been this way her whole life. You know the saying, " you can't teach an old dog new tricks." Anyways, any advice would be great! Thanks! :?

What is the diet your dog is on?

Is your dog used to free feeding rather than eating meals, is that what you're saying?

Unfortunately it's easier to keep cat food away from dogs than the other way around. My roommate has two cats that will eat everything and we have child locks on all the cabinets to keep them out, but all our animals eat meals and don't free feed.

That makes it hard. If you fed meals then you could just lock the cat in a room while the dog eats.

Is there anyway you can separate the two so that each has a half of the house to be in, such as closing a door to a hallway or such?

Feeding the dog separately on a schedule is probably the easiest option however I understand your dog may not like that too much. You could even do a timed feeder that had 2 compartments that automatically open during the day. The only thing I can think of is to put a sensor dog door on a interior door and put the dog food in that room so when your dog gets near the dog door it unlocks and he can get in to the food when he wants but the cat cannot get into the room. Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-SmartDoor-Large-100-lbs/dp/B000WJ0IGA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388899992&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+Door+With+Sensor where the dog wears the sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes it hard. If you fed meals then you could just lock the cat in a room while the dog eats.

Is there anyway you can separate the two so that each has a half of the house to be in, such as closing a door to a hallway or such?

Well the kitchen connects to the basement (where his food/ litter box is) and the rest of the house, so not really. I guess I have to figure out a feeding schedule for her. She is the only animal that goes outside , so maybe I can put it out in the yard , I just couldn't leave it there overnight so a raccoon doesn't get a hold of it.

Thankyou Njbunny for the ideas! I can maybe put a motion sensor one out side so it stays dry and no bugs or anything in it. I found one on amazon for only 15$ : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WR7YYW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I guess that is what I am going to do! :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back