Doesn't seem to be drinking water much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
I've noticed today, that the water bottle hasonly be drunk a little - yes by Bun-Bun. I haven't heard the"clink" "clink" "clink" "clink" noise nor seen him drink any water.
He pees and poops normally and has a hilasacious appitite(Whith his parsly and hay.).
Of course, some of ya'll know that Bun-Bun has a bladder infection right now.
But what about this water thing? He usually has a good thirst on him.
What's up whith the Bun now?

It could be from the large amount of fluids inthe parsley. My rabbit when she gets too much vegetables with too muchwater she doesn't drink out of her bowl. Have you increased the amountof vegetables? Has it been near the time when his drinkings decreased?

If your worried, you could also just put a heavy bowl filled with water in:).

Hope he gets over his bladder infection soon!

It could be that the amount of water content inthe greens is fullfilling his fluid needs. Greens have a high watercontent. But given that Bun-Bun has a bladder infection, it might be agood idea to put in a temporary water crock (bunnies will usually drinkmore from these).

It's really really really reallyimportant for Bun-Bun to drink lots of water, otherwise he'll have togo back to the vet and have it injected under his skin, so doeverything you can to get him to drink. So yes, give him abowl of water as well as his bottle, maybe put a little apple juice init (enough to make him drink it), and soak all the veggies in coldwater for a while before he gets them. The hay should be making himthirsty, balancing off the veggies' water, odd that its not.

See if he'll eat a pellet 'slurry', which means soaking afewpellets forfive or 10 minutes inwater. It's usually fed by syringe or dropper, maybe he'lleat it out of a bowl. (Somebody was mixing it with a littleoatmeal, their bunny loved it, but not sure if that affects the watercontent, have to check on that).

sas :)and pipp :bunnydance:(and the gang)

Is your bunny on antibiotics? Its important tokeep a lot of fluid going through the bladder when there is aninfection to flush out the bacteria. I'd ask your vet if youcould syringe him Pedialyte or just water.

You could also dipping his hay in some water? Myrabbit loves wet hay, you just have to clean it out regulary so itdoesn't go bad.

It could be cause of the veggies. I saw himdrink a little from his bottle last night. But I've tried doing everything ya'll told me to do, and he still hesitates to drink. And I triedwhith a syringe, but it's real hard, cause he moves and flings, and Idon't whant to end up hurting him.
The good thing is that he is still peeing(Still white, though.) and pooping normally.
And that his additude and behavior hasn't changed!!

Are the veggies wet? Also if you need to syringewater you can wrap him tightly in a towel to immobilize him (bunnyburrito)and place the syringe behind his teeth (side ofmouth). place him on the floor as it makes it easier and don't turn himupside down as he could aspirate the water. Go slowly so he has plentyof time to swallow the water . If he isn't drinking enough itsimportant that he get the water because of the bladder infection andalso because ofpossible dehydration. I can't stand doing thisto my rabbits either because it stresses them but sometimes itsnecessary

Latest posts

Back