Does your rabbit freak out over needles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelawareRunner

Reaction score
I had to take my five-year-old dwarf to the vet because she would not eat, drink, or go bathroom. She is very sweet, but very high strung over some things and I could not syringe feed her critical care. I did get some paste into her, but that was it. No liquids. My go to rabbit vet retired recently and finding a vet that would even see a new patient, let alone actually treat a rabbit was a nightmare. I finally found one an hour away and got there right before they quit accepting walk ins.

We waited in the car until we were called in and Precious started eating again--finally! No bathroom though. The vet tech petted my bunny and made sure she felt comfortable while we waited for the vet. The vet came in, examined her, and determined she needed iv fluids and a shot to help make her go bathroom. The tech administered the iv while Precious was in her carrier on the floor in fear she would hop off the table because she saw how squirmy she was with the vet. The vet handled her well though. The tech did get the iv in but Precious pulled away at first. Then, it was time to administer the shot and the tech told me it might sting her. Well, Precious freaked as soon as she injected it, flew up into the air, ran around in her carrier and was losing it. The tech scruffed her without warning and Precious screamed a horrible scream I never heard before--like a pig in distress. It was awful and I cried. She had her on the table and I had to hold her down while she gave her the rest of the shot which went over better after I assisted. However, my Precious was really a nightmare at the vet and I was traumatized over hearing my baby scream like that. Anyone else have a rabbit who freaks over injections? What do you do? She still needs to get the RHDV2 vaccine when it is available and I fear the worst.

The RHDV2 vaccine stings much less than fluids, there is a lot less liquid (rhdv2 vaccine is 0.5 cc, whereas fluids can be easily around 100x that volume of liquid) and it is just a quick shot that can be given sub-cutaneously in the scruff. 11 of mine just got their second dose of it yesterday and none of them seemed bothered (2 of them I had given fluids to in the past, and they were not a fan, but they were fine with RHDV2 vaccine). (edit: they received the Pasteurella vaccine at the same time, so they each had to get 2 shots)

I brought my girl in to get her rhdv2 and she flipped the needle right out ofher and our vet.
He stood back astonished, saying "I've never had a rabbit do that to me"
I buried my eyes in my hands because I couldn't watch them any further.
They managed to get it done very quickly there after.... I had me wondering if she remembered him from her spay and wanted none of what he was planning for her this time around.

I get groomers in every month and a half to do both my buns nails and my lionhead a deep brush out, but my girl wants none of what they have for her either.
Takes a bit to catch her and she definitely puts up a good fight.. But us humans always win in the end, for their own health and maintenance of course 🥰

Thanks for the replies so far. She is slightly tolerant of iv fluids, but the stinging from an injection flips her freak out switch for sure. She hid under my arms while I held her down when the tech tried to give her the rest of it.

Latest posts

Back