Does this look normal? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseTheLionhead

Reaction score
I was brushing my baby bun Umbreon (7 months Nov. 11) when I realized he was losing a lot of fur in his hip to the point of being bald. Once I saw all the hair loss I stopped brushing because it wouldn't stop coming all out and I don't want a naked bunny. Beside that he is a very healthy bun. Is this a normal molt for the season and nothing I should be concerned or is this something more?

Attachments

• PXL_20211101_073814057.jpg
    PXL_20211101_073814057.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20211101_073738506.jpg
    PXL_20211101_073738506.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 12
It depends. If the skin remains normal with no signs of dandruff, skin lesions, or red irritated skin, then it could just be your rabbit is going through a heavy molt . Some rabbits will shed to the point of becoming bald in spots, before the new coat starts growing in. But if you do start seeing issues with the skin and/or the fur doesn't start growing back in a few weeks, then it could be a health issue and you should have your rabbit checked by your vet.

Medirabbit: health related fur loss in rabbits

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Agreed that it's possible this is normative to a molt. The deciding factor will be in whether that patch grows and how it grows, in addition to how the skin changes (if at all) prior to new fur growing in. I would take a pause on grooming around that patch to lessen any irritation in general.

This looks normal to me too. Both of my frenchie bucks would moult like that and then regrow that bald spot.
Do keep an eye on it though, and maybe try brushing gentler next time.

Thanks for all the answers. I'm getting him a vet appointment asap to check out that spot. Today I was weighing all the bunnies and Umbreon is underweight, he's bones is pointing out and such. He is still eatting like normal but I'm going to get him checkes just in case.

Latest posts

Back