Does taking your bunny friend to the vet for a check up stress you out as much as it does them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
So, on Saturday, Spike has his check-up coming up. It is a big ordeal taking him to the vet. He can't stand being picked up and runs away from me when he realizes I am going to try to do just that. Getting him in his carrier is so stressful for both of us! At the vet, the poor thing is so scared he shakes (and sometimes pees in his carrier). Then once he is home, he sits and shakes for at least a good hour. I always get worried that at some time, he may not stop. Knowing that all of this is going to happen next weekend, stresses me out all week and I just feel so awful for putting him through it.

Anyone have any tips on how to make it easier for both of us? Or can maybe just tell me I'm not alone in hating these visits?

Goodness, that does sound like an ordeal. My kids go out and about in a stroller and love it. Going to the vet is not a big deal for them. I also pick them up every day, so they are used to it.

I like the idea of training them to hop into a basket. I did that with my therapy pair. I would put the basket next to them and put a treat inside. It only took them a few minutes to learn. Now I can carry them around the hospital and they feel secure in their basket.

Cookie has never had a big issue going... He seems to like his pet taxi, we put his towel and some hay in there and then throw in some banana and he usually goes right in! Ofcourse we don't use it very often so it kind of "new" when we do use it... I love brandys stroller idea! Once I start working again I must get him a stroller (even if hubby thinks it's silly lol) so he can go on walks with us when we take our dogs!

I was a mess the morning of Harriet's check up. She was too as soon as I put her in the carrier. I don't even remember now why I was so worried, she did well. When we got home she slept in my closet for a few hours then was back to her annoying, nippy self by the afternoon.

My buns don't really stress too much going places and are pretty used to the carrier (liking it is another story, only one will willingly go into the carrier). Being at the vet is a bit more stressful, but not really too much. Once home, they are usually fine.
I have had rabbits who were not so keen on travel of any kind, but did get used to it.

I would suggest leaving the carrier out without the door on and letting your rabbit get used to it. You can put a towel or something in so it is more like a bed. You could even start with just the bottom part, then add the top once he is more used to it.
You can even try to train him to go into the carrier on command. Putting treats in for him does help, but if he is comfortable then he could even just go in on his own.

Getting him more used to being picked up will help. He doesn't have to like it, bu it is good for you to be able to get him without too much fuss. Being able to get him quickly will make it less stressful on both of you. You can just hold him for a couple minutes, then put him back, you don't need to do anything with him.

Getting him used to travel also helps. Once he is good with the carrier and handling, then put him in the carrier and go for a short drive. You can go to a pet store or something if you want. Then come home. It will be stressful for him at first, but since nothing 'bad' happens, he should start to associate going places with good things. Then where there are vet visits, there are not as common as other trips.

Most of my rabbits still don't like to go in the carrier, but are fine once in it and are good going places. Expect for my 2 newest ones, they have all been doing hopping events for over a year now and not really been in the carrier to do much else.

Latest posts

Back