Does neutering stop destructive behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some bunnies it will help a lot because it will make them calmer instead of being pumped up with hormones. But chewing is a natutal behavior, so it might not help a lot.

Myself have made sure to have no purses or bags near my bunnies. Already had a few bags chewed on and both my bucks are neutered ^-^

Neutering helped with their territory behavior and stop marking the couches and beds.

Neutering seems to have calmed our rabbits to where they're not chewing on everything in sight; however, chewing is instinctive and if you want to distract rabbits from your favorite things you should give them chew toys. We make sure ours have plenty of pine blocks and willow branches. (A pair of them will strip the bark off a golf-club-long branch, overnight!) Some of them love to nibble on their cardboard tunnels and hidey holes. (Whenever she's not sleeping, one of our does keeps busy all the time ripping apart her cardboard castle.) All these things distract them from valuables. That said, any wise bunny owner will keep electrical wires out of reach, or, have them wrapped in chew-proof sheaths.

How much does neutering help curb destructive behavior, such chewing up my purse?

That isn't destructive behaviour, it's rabbits joy chewing things. Some indulge in it more than others.
I didn't need to bunnyproof anything when I moved my intact buck indoors, that changed 2 years later when I got him one of his daughters spayed as cuddlebun. She's by far not as bad as a free range house bunny as her grandmother Fury was (pretty much destroyed my apartment during the 8 months she was indoors, 8yo happy outdoor bunny now), but I need to take care that there are no cables hanging in her way.

As I see it, that's more an individual trait, not so much about neutered or not.

A couple of ours still chew after neuter surgeries. Chewing is very important to keep their incisors and molars trim. Incisor teeth continually grow. Gratefully all neuter and spay surgeries have stopped their hormonal spraying.

Chewing on indigestible fiber (rug edges or an abundance of cardboard chewing) caused a GI obstruction and twisted cecum in three of our buns. We weren't able to correct the blockage via DVM fluids and meds in time to resolve the blockage or cecum malady.

Neutering is a wise choice. As Preiter said, some enjoy chewing more than others.

Latest posts

Back