Does my rabbit's diet sound okay? How can I encourage her to eat more hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinbumpkin

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to ask your opinions on my rabbits diet and if i should increase/decrease anything.

In the morning she gets 1/2 cup of veggies and 1 tablespoon oxbow simple harvest pellets. I recently increased her morning veggies to 1 cup, but then she barely ate any hay so I brought it back down.

In the evenings she gets 1 cup veggies and 1 tablespoon pellets.

She gets romaine lettuce and cilantro everyday, and the rest I rotate. One week she gets red leaf lettuce, the next she gets green leaf. Once a week she gets broccoli, then I give her a different herb with her cilantro everyday. Either thyme, basil, or mint. Once in a while I will give her something like cucumber or celery.

She has hay 24/7, but recently she barely eats any and seems completely uninterested unless it is 100% new. I give her a big handful of hay 2+ times a day and she sits for 10 minutes and eats probably only 1/3 of it then refuses to eat anymore until I give her more to pick through. Am I giving too many pellets/veggies?

She is a lionhead and weighs probably around 4/5 pounds at the most. The last time she was weighed at the vet she was 3.5 pounds but has definitely gained some weight since then.

When she was younger and wasn't being fed as many veggies, she had a hay bag that could hold 3 or 4 big handfuls of hay. I would fill it up every night and by morning it was completely gone.

It all sounds good, but I'm a little unclear on just how much hay she is eating per day. Would you say it is a pile that is about the same size as her body?

It all sounds good, but I'm a little unclear on just how much hay she is eating per day. Would you say it is a pile that is about the same size as her body?
No, she used to eat that much now she doesnt. I would say she eats a pile half the size of her body everyday. I think I may know what the problem is though. I dont know why I never thought of this, I switched her hay brand recently because the store was all out of her regular hay, but they have it back in stock so I'm going to get her some of that and see if she starts eating more. It looks exactly thr same as her old hay, so it must taste different or something

Hopefully she will eat more with the other brand. But I would cut back on the pellets. Cinnabun is 5lbs. She only gets 1/2 Tbsp. Morning/Evening.
Never more than 1 Tbsp. a day. Some days even less.
Cinnabun likes to eat hay off the floor, so she spreads her hay all over the house. At end of day I sweep it up dump in litter box.

Attachments

• 20220829_111236.jpg
    20220829_111236.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Rosewood Boredom Breaker Natural Treat Summerfield, 100g

Try sprinkling this on her hay. My rabbits go crazy for this stuff. They eat more hay since I started putting it on their hay.

Latest posts

Back