Does my rabbit have bloat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Rex Rabbiters MN

Reaction score
I got a 3 month old Holland Lop doe a few weeks ago from a breeder. She has been acting completely normal but her belly seems to be really full all the time. I've never experienced any health problems with my bunnies before so I don't know if it's a concern. At first I just thought she was really chubby but now I'm worried that she could have a blockage, I've fed little bits of oats but nothing has changed.

If you are really worried about her, it would be a good idea to take her to the vet. When I got my Netherland dwarf, he was overweight, and his poop was almost all cecotropes. He was very food motivated and was given a lot of treats from his previous owner. His butt was always a mess. I got rid of his treats and switched him from alfalfa to quality timothy pellets, and his problem straightened out and he lost the extra weight. But my rabbit was 3 years old and I know nothing about bunnies.

I'm sure there are a number of different reasons why your rabbit could be having the problems she is having. If you try doing a search for "excessive cecotropes" in the search box, I am sure you will find more on this subject.

Is she eating normally, what is her diet, and does she feel bony along the back and hindquarters? Also does she seem especially small for her age?

Her spine and hindquarters feel like a normal-weighted Holland Lop. And yes, she is small for her age. She's eating mostly normal, she gets 1/2 cup pellets a day with a pinch of oats. Usually she just doesn't eat the oats.

I would put her on a hay diet a few days (2-3 days) and see if the stomach become better. If it doesn’t work, take her to a veterinarian and try to figure out what’s wrong.

She just passed away last night/this morning..... she has been acting completely normal but there must've been something wrong. Thank you very much for your advice. She was already too far gone I guess..

Latest posts

Back