Does Desexing Help With Spraying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitLover11

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering, if a rabbit is desexed before reaching maturity (around 6 months) does this prevent them from spraying urine as a territorial behaviour (because of removal of the hormones)?

Also, i live in Australia and they spread the calicivirus around all the time here, so i was wondering, do i need to vaccinate my rabbit annually (every 12 months) or get them one main shot when i first take them to the vet, then booster shots every couple of years?

Help is appreciated,
Thank you.

It can definitely help with hormonal behaviours such as spraying, though sometimes if they have already gotten in the habit of it before the op, they can continue even after. But doing it earlier on will prevent the risk of that.
Here in the UK you get a booster every 12 months, and it’s important to be strict with it because I’ve known rabbits to be only a month or two overdue and catch RHD. We also do a RHD2 vaccine, which includes even more strains so protects your rabbit further. This needs to be done at least two weeks after the RHD1 booster. I don’t know what they offer where you are and what vaccines are used, so best to discuss with your vet what cover they can offer you :)

Get the op before they start as once they do it’s almost impossible to stop

I hold say that if you deserved him before 6 months (maturity age) then he wouldn’t spray as he doesn’t have those hormones which cause males to do this. Also, if you have the virus continually around then I would definitely get him vaccinated yearly :)

Latest posts

Back