Does cats, dogs, and rabbits have same fur mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
I was curious about this since I have a new situation that I have to worry which is fur mites, I contacted a clinic which specializes cats and dogs only but can't handle exotic pets (it's the only pet clinic in my province), I was asking if they have ivermectin or lime sulphur dip. I know that there are more types of mites and I have a little bit of knowledge about it so I have no other options but contact a vet clinic with no knowledge about rabbits, but even so, I'm still curious if they have a type of medecine in their that can help fur mites in rabbits. You see... He is locked in his pen for the past few days because of litter training and my grandmother put rat poison everywhere in the house so I have no choice. It pains me to see him having so much health problem. If you have knowledge or any other treatment for fur mites pls inform me right away, I am in need of your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_151744.jpg
    IMG_20200610_151744.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2
First of all, keep him away from rat poison... I got to learn exactly how it kills earlier this year when one of the doctors at my job explained the biomechanics... it is a horrible, graphic death.

So as far as mites go, there are multiple varieties for each species (dog, cat, rabbit, even people) Regardless, as long as the treatment is safe for rabbits and treats mites, it should solve the problem.

First of all, keep him away from rat poison... I got to learn exactly how it kills earlier this year when one of the doctors at my job explained the biomechanics... it is a horrible, graphic death.

So as far as mites go, there are multiple varieties for each species (dog, cat, rabbit, even people) Regardless, as long as the treatment is safe for rabbits and treats mites, it should solve the problem.
Yes. So that's why he is caged for days. I cannot find any exotic vet sadly.

I've discussed other mite stuff here, and this is a very broad explanation, but the language and species discussed will be familiar to a dog/cat vet

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/help-is-something-wrong-with-my-bunny.98731/#post-1147707
A regular vet will have to do then!
I asked the only clinic in our province and they can't do rabbit's... I asked them if they had lime sulphur dip or ivermectin and they do not have any of those because they use different medicine... I chatted them again if there is any other medicine that can cure fur mites and no response yet, they respond super slow (hours)

Last edited:
Any chance you could ask them to prescribe the meds needed (@Hermelin 's seem like the best bet, or do some research and contact a vet who answers questions online, they will want to help) then order the meds online from a prescription retailer? That may be your only option

Any chance you could ask them to prescribe the meds needed (@Hermelin 's seem like the best bet, or do some research and contact a vet who answers questions online, they will want to help) then order the meds online from a prescription retailer? That may be your only option
Okay... I'll try. And what do you mean "best bet" I dont get that pls explain it. I'm too shy to contact a vet. You see... Since the pandemic I will get the order after a few weeks or 1 month and that's a problem.

Best bet means best option, sorry for the slang! I'm afraid this is something you need to do despite your own anxieties... As someone who works at a vet clinic, I am always extremely impressed when young people and teens take the initiative to get their pets help. You'll need to be brave, and asking for help is the greatest form of bravery, this is coming from someone who has struggled to ask for help my whole life.

Imagine you are your rabbit, with a very uncomfortable condition and there is nothing your rabbit can do to make it better. She is completely relying on YOUR courage. You could even contact a vet online with a chat or email. They will be very impressed and want to help you.

Best bet means best option, sorry for the slang! I'm afraid this is something you need to do despite your own anxieties... As someone who works at a vet clinic, I am always extremely impressed when young people and teens take the initiative to get their pets help. You'll need to be brave, and asking for help is the greatest form of bravery, this is coming from someone who has struggled to ask for help my whole life.

Imagine you are your rabbit, with a very uncomfortable condition and there is nothing your rabbit can do to make it better. She is completely relying on YOUR courage. You could even contact a vet online with a chat or email. They will be very impressed and want to help you.
It's my first time doing this... And I don't k ow how

But it's something you have to do... call the dog/cat vet and ask if there is an exotics vet they recommend... It is extremely important that you get this treated and we can't do that for you. Maybe you have a parent or sibling who would call for you, but if not, it's up to you

Normal procedure here in sweden we use are ivermectin and stronghold spot on, both treatment we use are just applying on the skin of the neck of the bunny. Fur mites is pretty common in the philppines among dogs, so I’m quite sure the vet will have medication for it ☺

Make sure to sanitize the cage after you get medication and brush your bunny.

Normal procedure here in sweden we use are ivermectin and stronghold spot on, both treatment we use are just applying on the skin of the neck of the bunny. Fur mites is pretty common in the philppines among dogs, so I’m quite sure the vet will have medication for it ☺

Make sure to sanitize the cage after you get medication and brush your bunny.
I think Revolution or Triflexis also treats mites and can be ordered online as long as you have an accurate weight on your rabbit. Make sure to weigh your rabbit accurately, all medication can overdose.

You might have different name for the medication, but try to find those that contain either lime sulfur dips, ivermectin or selamectin. These are active substance and will have the same name all over the world ☺ These medications are safe for bunnies to use with the propare dosage.

I'm soo frustrated right now to be honest, we dont have weather lime sulfur dip nor any of those medication you have recommended. 😔😔 if I buy online it will take 2/3 weeks or 1 month... In addition, it's also expensive (php2000/ USD39.89) + the shipping, I don't want to buy it from amazon or any other online shopping application because it's from overseas, I can only use shoppee which is from the philippines

You may have to just order it and do comfort care until then... it is expensive, but that's always how it goes with pets, we have to pay to make them be happy and healthy. If it's from overseas, that's just the way it may have to be if you can't find it where you live

You may have to just order it and do comfort care until then... it is expensive, but that's always how it goes with pets, we have to pay to make them be happy and healthy. If it's from overseas, that's just the way it may have to be if you can't find it where you live
Can I use oral ivermectin for dogs or cats??? Google won't show me an ivermectin for rabbits.... Only for dogs and cats.

You might have different name for the medication, but try to find those that contain either lime sulfur dips, ivermectin or selamectin. These are active substance and will have the same name all over the world ☺ These medications are safe for bunnies to use with the propare dosage.
I think your right i think the stronghold spot on that you were saying is called revolution spot on in herr but it's foe dogs

Latest posts

Back