Does anyone know about E.P.A.T or Achilles Tendon Surgery?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewlingcricket

Reaction score
Hey everyone...My husband and I went to my doctor the other day and we discussed my options for dealing with my chronic achilles tendon pain (which has been going on for 3 years now) Basically I have three options.
1. do nothing (which isn't going to work for me)
2. get the E.P.A.T treatment: with what the doctor told me and what I have read online it has a good rate of success overall for reducing pain, but not a lot of data on achilles tendon specific results (the procedure fires shockwaves into the tendon to damage it and force it to grow new blood vessels to try and heal itself). If this works out great...if it doesn't I have to have the surgery.
3. Have the surgery- which means 6-8 weeks of not being able to put any weight/pressure on my foot, plus due to my age/weight/sex I hit all the risk markers for potential blood clots and would have to take daily injections of a blood thinner to prevent them....but would fix the problem (of course with physical therapy after the 8 weeks, but I am already in PT now so no biggie)

My husband and I are struggling to decide between options 2 and 3, and there are just so many pros and cons to each that even my doctor said he didn't know which one was best because none of them were good options.

Does anyone know anything about either procedure, or have an opinion on them??? I can use all the help I can get:?

The shock waves are very painful so they have to put you out during the procedure and My son has the problem from heal to toe and hes had it for three years.and hes undecided also what to do.

Bill

I have a torn achilles tendon right now.. I skate with it..

I will be having the surgery..but due to my age (37, weight, and markers) I have to take the blood thinner as well..

I did the EPAT treatment...it half way worked..so now I am at the surgery stage.

Sorry to hear that! That is my fear that the EPAT will only work somewhat, then I end up at surgery anyway. My husband wants me to have the EPAT I am leaning towards the surgery. IDK. Let me know how your surgery goes either way? Best Wishes!

Latest posts

Back