does anyone have rabbits that live outdoors year round?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
in the cold winter my rabbit drinks warm waterand it is hard to keep changing it so i wanted to know if anyone knowshow i can possibly keep my rabbit bottle warmer somewhat longer.:sickbunny:

Other than having an automated water system, Ireally don't have any suggestions. I used to keep rabbits outdoors inthe winter, and the only thing I found I could do was keep changing thewater as it froze. I also used to put snow in an extra dish so theycould eat that - as the water would freeze solid overnight in themiddle of winter.

Wish I had something more to suggest...

The metal font freezes too quickly, even if youinsulate the bottle. Most people just switch to crocks forthe winter. Heated bowls are also available.

Pam

This is simular to what I just got. It worksgreat!! The other night It got down to 27*f and hada smallceramic bowl of water and also the heated bowl inside their hutch. Thefollowing moring, the unheated bowl had a nice layer of ice! Andobviously, the heated bowl was not frozen.

http://www.futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=ALL90

all90.jpg

I definitely say no using a water bottle in thewinter! As Pamnock said, the problem is not frozen water but frozennozzles on them. The water itself may not even be frozen but the waterbottle nozzle is likely frozen so the rabbit cannot get water out of it.

Most people just have two sets ofdishes. They give them one, then when it gets frozen, theygive them the other dish with clean water and defrost the one that isfrozen and start the cycle all over again.

Sharon

It never gets cold enough for the water tofreeze here, but I think that you'll just have to keep an eye on it andchange it as it starts to freeze. I HATE the sipper bottle things, andmy rabbits never liked them either.

You can get large dog size bowls at Walmart andTSC (tractor supply co.) for only 20.00. The cords also comecoiled in metel so that they cannot chew them, although I keep my cordstotally out of reach as not to take chances. Theyare a lifesaver...to say the least!!!!!!!

tatum

Latest posts

Back