Does a rabbit know what's good for them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
So here in Western Australis we are having a bit of a heatwave. It's been 40 degrees (around 104F) here for the past few days and its forecast to get even hotter. Needless to say Im concerned for my bunnies.

Whenever we are home my buns get free run of the house and the backyard if we are outside. Only thing is my girl Cleo seems to prefer sitting upstairs where it gets very hot. If I bring her downstairs where it's cooler she generally heads back upstairs. Should I force her to stay downstairs? Or should I let her make the judgement on whether it is too hot for her or not?

if she's happy and healthy I'd worry not. If she starts showing signs of heat distress then I'd make a decision for her. :)

if she appears hot, I would force her to stay downstairs. I've seen mine sit in the ONE patch of sun that was hitting their carrier in the back seat while driving home from the vet on a 100 degree day. I've seen them ignore ice packs and their water bottle when I KNEW they were a little warm. they don't always seem to catch on to the cause-and-effect of what makes them cooler or warmer.

You could but a slab of granite upstairs where she likes to lay, so she has a way to dissipate heat and be where she likes. People use them commonly with chinchillas, but the same principle can help any animal become cooler.

I would check often and make sure she isn't showing any signs of being too hot. Is there a reason she's up there? Food, water, toy, maybe somewhere she likes laying just because it's comfy?

Yep, I wonder if there is something she particularly likes about upstairs that's making her pick it?

She always sits on the top step, even in our old house. Im not sure what it is about the top step. I give her ice bottles but she just scratches at them then pushes them away and ignores them. I generally find her stretched out and panting so I take her downstairs. Her ears seem to get hot sometimes so I wet them and there is a fan in her room. I can always block off the stairs Im just not sure if she is as happy and comfortable down here.

Maybe she likes having a good vantage point? Does she have a box or something she could sleep on top of downstairs?

When she is downstairs she tends to want to hide. We tried keeping her down here the other night and she just went under the couch :foreheadsmack: I don't understand her! I give her the frozen bottle and she just pushes it away or throws it down the stairs!!

Latest posts

Back