Doe that is squeaking quite a bit....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Ijust went out too take pictures of my Jr's, and check the brand of my cages, and when I went up to one of my older Jr's, she started freaking out, squeaking, squealing and just having none of me. I immediately thought something was wrong, so I took her out and got to looking.

Her nose is kind of wet - like I saw snot in there, but no discharge/running snot, and her paws are clean. Her teeth looked fine, although she squealed quite loud when I touched her mouth/nose, I don't know if she was just ticked off, or if she's hurting?

If ya'll remember, I had a 4/5-week old get a piece of hay stuck up her nose a couple weeks ago (she's 8 weeks now) and she had snot/discharge,etc. and we thought it was pasturella/URI...she sneezed occasionally at about 6 weeks, but now I haven't heard her sneeze at all, and there's no discharge. We did give her Vit C which seemed to help clear up the URI, or whatnot... Is there a possible chance that this is related...somehow?

So my question is.. could there be an underlying problem with my doe? Or is she just squealing because she wants to be bred? She's about..3 months old, close to 4. She just got switched to a new cage like this past weekend, and was perfectly fine then. I really just noticed the squealing the past 2 days, really only thought much of it today when she was freaking out.

Her eyes are clear as well, she's eating her hay, not eating a lot of pellets, but she has been eating some.

What could it be? Her molars? Just wanting to breed?
She doesn't squeal unless I go near her/attempt to touch her. And doesn't squeal when I feed her...

ETA: She passed vet check on the 1st weekend of may for a show... was judged by the judge and everything - nothing bad said about her teeth - so I don't know if maybe something could have developed since then?

Emily

It is really to early to tell ...
What is great is that you recognized that she is not behaving like her normal self; there were changes in her environment so she could be reacting to that

I would just keep a very close eye on her and take itfrom there.

angieluv wrote:
It is really to early to tell ...
What is great is that you recognized that she is not behaving like her normal self; there were changes in her environment so she could be reacting to that

I would just keep a very close eye on her and take itfrom there.

Thanks so much, Angie. I will definitely be keeping a VERY close eye on her. I'm freaking out a bit right now, but trying to keep calm, and just tell myself that she'll be fine.

I'm hoping that she's just reacting to the change... the cage is a little smaller than her last one, as well, so maybe she doesn't like that.

I did forget to mention that when she squeaked, sometimes she'd do a little cough/sneeze sound, although she only did it like twice... I don't know if that could be of any help?

I try to pay very close attention to all my bunnies in order to catch things - so far it's paid off with all three close-calls - GI Stasis, Hay up the nose, and now this.

Emily

The cough- sneeze is significant if you hear her doing on any regular basis at all.

It is way easier to treat a respiratory infection in the early stages than to wait until it is well established.

My mom is a strong believer in the fact that "rabbits dont go the vet" :( although I have the funds if I need to take her. ;) So really it's just a matter of convincing my mom and getting her to drive me to the vets... :/

I went back out to check on her, and she was eating pellets. She wasn't squealing as much, and she let me reach in to pet her at one point, and I was rubbing her nose/face and she wasn't flipping out. I even gave her some grass and she chomped it all down.

Could she be cage aggressive since she's in a smaller cage?

Emily

She could be cage aggressive and unhappy in the small cage but that wouldn't cause sneeze-coughs; if you can move her again to a more comfortable cageI am sure that she would appreciate it.

angieluv wrote:
She could be cage aggressive and unhappy in the small cage but that wouldn't cause sneeze-coughs; if you can move her again to a more comfortable cageI am sure that she would appreciate it.

She is sneezing/coughing just when she squeaks, might I add... which is kind of weird.

I will see who I need to move in order to give her a larger cage. ;)

Emily

Okay, so last night we switched her back to her previous, larger, cage. While we did cleaning, we put her out in an exercise pen to play and just chill out some.

She was still squeaking at me a little bit this morning when I went to feed, although definitely not as much as she had been doing - she sneezed/coughed like once, but her nose is clear...

She wiped out all of her pellets, grass, and hay from last night.

I'm thinking maybe she just didn't like the smaller cage? Although that still doesn't explain the sneeze/cough when she squeaks.

Emily

I would go ahead and take her to the vet soon; it might be better to leave her in the old cage so that she doesn't feel more stress.
It probably is a respiratory infection

I wonder if the squealing is because she's worried you'll touch her nose, etc, which is bothering her, perhaps due to a URI or tooth problem. How did she react with the judge? Does she have a box to hide in in her cage? Does she squeal more if you touch a certain area of her body?

Latest posts

Back